Saturday, September 27, 2008

F2K Free Creative Writing Course

I received an email from F2K about their new online classes starting soon and I thought I would pass this along to you...it is free (unless you want a one-on-one Mentor)...

I've taken the course once and found it quite helpful and met some wonderful people in the process...I'm not sure I will have time to take the course this time around, but I'm going to try if I can fit it into my schedule...

Anyway, here is the information if you are interested:

Register now for F2K: Free Creative Writing Course
Registration closes Tuesday, October 12th at 9PM (EST)
Limited space available!

Take R.J. Hembree's F2K: an Introduction to Creative Writing for free! Our free courses have helped thousands of writers from around the world since 1995.

No obligations. Class begins October 15. Registration ends October 12th.

To Register Now: Writer's Village

To learn more about Writer's Village: Information

Volunteers from Writers' Village University offer free assistance to Study Groups. Optional one-on-one Mentor assistance is also available for $25. Special for Subscribers.

To save $5 on Mentor Support, use this coupon code: 0BBD5

F2K Syllabus F2K: An Introduction to Creative Writing is a 6-week course.

There are three objectives:

1. To help beginning writers learn the basic terminology of fiction writing (a good refresher for experienced writers too). Writers will also find the elements of fiction useful in non-fiction or poetry.

2. To encourage writers to habitually write without fear.

3. To give writers a chance to meet and develop friendships with writers from around the world.

Are you a writer? If you are reading this with the intent of taking this course, then you are a writer.

hings you will need for the class:

**P. June Diehl's The Magic and the Mundane (recommended but not required)

**A loose-leaf binder to keep copies of all assignments, notes and your work.

**An e-mail address.

**A browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox work well) If you want to participate in the weekly chats, your browser must be equipped with Java. Recent versions of Netscape or Microsoft Internet Explorer are equipped with Java.

Get involved. Meet people.

Writers are usually a sensitive lot, and many of us are shy at first, so if this is you, then remember there are many like yourself who need a little push to get involved.

Join in your study group right away, post your exercises and make encouraging comments to others who post their work.

Be bold in your writing and tactful in your comments to others ... this is a place to learn, not a place to show off.

HAVE FUN, BE LIGHT

Introduction note: You will need to keep a running journal for this class. The journal should include copies of all assignments, reader responses and exercises.

Divide your journal into three categories:

1. Copies of Assignments: Print out all assignments and put them in your journal. This will help you see your progress and is good insurance for computer crashes.

2. Reader Responses: Make comments and write questions you may have concerning the reading assignments. A good approach to this is to write as if you were writing to the author. For example, keep a running dialogue with P. June Diehl; jot a couple of notes to Calvino and Vonnegut; comment on my exercises and strategies; write your own ideas about how you can use the strategies, or improve on them. Keep in mind that what works for one writer does not necessarily work for another...you use this information to branch out and establish your own philosophy of writing, taking this, tossing that.

3. Exercises: Keep copies of all your exercises. Many of these may grow into stories or components of stories. Some assignments will be revisions of past assignments. Keep both original and revised copies.

Over the years, many stories written in F2K have found publication. If you have any questions, please contact your Mentor, visit the Help desk or ask at the weekly chats.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I wish you all the best with F2K!

3 comments:

Cate Gardner said...

Ooh, wish I had time for this.

Brenda said...

catherine...I know what you mean about time or lack there of...the year that I did it, I took one of my stories that I was working on and used the lessons to help me get it written...now I have sooo many projects going at one time, that I wouldn't know which one to try...

Rena Jones said...

This sounds like a lot of fun.