I asked Hazel if she would share a few recipes and she said, "no"...so long story short, we have worked out a deal that goes something like this...She will share her recipes with me, so that I can share them with you, but I have to give her the weekends off and she gets to name her "show"...
DRUM ROLL, PLEASE!!
I am happy to introduce you to Hazel's Crockpot Thursdays...For her first episode, Hazel would like to share her buffet style dinner with you.
Meat:
1 beef roast * 1 can of coca cola (not diet) * 1 envelope of onion soup mix (such as Lipton's soup mix)
Put roast in crock, mix cola and soup mix together and pour on roast. Cook on low all day (6-8 hours). The cola will help tenderize your roast and give it a sweet taste and the soup mix gives you seasonings that help flavor the roast (when Hazel is visiting her mother, I have made this with just the cola for a sweeter roast)...
Vegetables:
Baked potatoes - Poke a few holes with a fork in potatoes - wrap potatoes in aluminum foil and put in oval crockpot (DO DOT put water or anything else in crock)...I've made up to 8 potatoes at a time...I try not to layer my potatoes, so they cook even...cook on low 6-8 hours...
Brown Sugar Green Beans - Drain a quart of green beans (rinse well) put beans in crock. Put a stick of butter/margarine on beans. Put 1/4 - 1/2 cup of brown sugar in crock. Put lid on crock and cook on low for 2 1/2 - 3 hours (on high for 1 - 1 1/2 hour)... check beans a half hour before serving...when you lift the lid, you should get a nose full of sweet smelling brown sugar...if not, add more brown sugar...
Dessert:
Triple Chocolate Mess -
1 pkg chocolate cake mix (18 1/2 oz) * 1 pint sour cream (16 oz) * 1 pkg instant chocolate pudding (3.9 oz) * 1 small bag of chocolate chips (6 oz) * 3/4 cup oil * 4 eggs * 1 cup water
Spray crockpot with non-stick spray. Mix all ingredients & pour into crock. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Spoon into bowls and serve with ice cream... (depending on the crock I use, sometimes this only takes 4 hours, so you may want to watch it the first time you make it to make sure it doesn't burn)...
Line your crockpots up in a row and let your family enjoy the buffet...
We know this sounds like a very sweet meal, but it really isn't...at least not until you get to the Triple Chocolate Mess...but how else would you end a meal...
Hazel and I hope you enjoy the buffet and we invite you back next Thursday when Hazel makes a Peach cobbler that you won't believe...Hugs...
15 comments:
Oh, I love this! LMAO @ her saying "no" to you. Sounds like Hazel has a bit of an attitude. That's a good quality in a crock-pot. Bahahahaha! I love this and will look forward to more entries.
Question though -- how many quarts is Hazel? Mine is 6-qt. And about the green beans, do you use a smaller CP for those or does Hazel do a good job on those? She looks big, so that's why I ask. No offense, Hazel -- big is beautiful, even more so when you're a crock ... ;)
rena...Hazel has a lot of attitude, so I let her get her way often...otherwise my family wouldn't eat! grin...She wears a 6qt oval apron, but her kitchen help is all different sizes...
She has two 3.5 qt uprights that are just the right size and are wonderful for the green beans and the triple chocolate mess...they has a high/low/warm button, and I use the warm setting a lot of times for the last half hour or so of cooking...
Hazel is in charge, so she cooks the roast...she's big enough that it makes it easier to get the roast out...
Her assistant is a 5 qt oblong that makes the potatoes. They fit quite nice in the oblong one...
She also has a very tiny helper who is 1.5 quart that is great for canned corn, peas, etc...they usually cook in about a half hour to hour...
Coca Cola is my fave soft drink, I've never used it in my cooking. Who'da thunk it would go with beef? Thanks for the recipe!
I'm going to try the green beans too!
Yummy!
Hazel's da bomb!
I love those. I'm definitely going to try them too. Yesterday we had a crockpot dinner. Love those - coming home to the smell of wafting wisps of meat and vegetables - all ready! You can't beat that.
Thanks for sharing.
Thank you Hazel, thank you Brenda! Seriously, I'm so happy you decided to share some recipes!!! (BTW, my crockpot is 5qt and doesn't have a name yet, or an apron.)
Wonderful Brenda! I have one old CP that I love to use, particularly in the winter. I will definitely be checking out Hazel's recipes. Please tell her "Thank you," for me.
kelly...I remember thinking the same thing about the cola, but it really does give it a nice flavor...and my MIL calls the green beans "Brenda Beans" because they had never eaten them with brown sugar...
Kim...that is why I love Hazel so much...when I come home, dinner is made, which gives me more time to procrastinate...I mean write...grin...
sruble...you do know there are laws about having a crockpot and not naming it...or giving it an apron...you better take care of this right away before the crockpot cops come get you...grin...
bish...Hazel says, "You're welcome"
That does it - I'm gonna have to get out my crockpot!
My mom used to cook quite a bit with 7-up, but never Coke. I'm intrigued.
I make roast with root beer too and it turns out really yummy, especially when you shred it and put it on hoagie rolls.
Brenda -- Another question about the beans. Do you use fresh beans? Or would frozen work too?
You saw which CP I have -- it was the same one as the picture in my "What's crockin?" blog. I really like that one because it shuts itself off and goes into warm mode without me having to do it.
Mine doesn't have a name. I think I'll call her ALICE -- ;)
adrienne...I've actually heard of the 7-up roast and I hear it very good also...we don't usually drink 7-up, but we always have cola around the house...
rena...I've used fresh right out of the garden beans and I've used canned (store bought and homemade) beans, but I've never used frozen, so that one I'm not sure about...you might want make the frozen ones when you are at home the whole day so you can keep an eye on them...if it doesn't them as long, you can always turn the crock off and warm them up...I can't imagine there would be any difference, but I can't say for sure...
And I think Alice is a fine crockpot name...just make sure Alice doesn't give you the attitude that Hazel gives me...grin...
I'll be looking for an apron this weekend, promise. I've named her Betty (Crocker).
Betty Crocker -- OMG! LOLOLOL! Love it!
sruble...I love it! LOL!!!
Thanks! Betty can't wait to start crocking. ;)
Just put the Coca Cola roast in the crock pot!
Thanks for the idea!
Post a Comment