We are talking about titles...how important are titles? When I go to the book store, I look at the title first and then the cover picture...if those two catch my eye, then I will read the first page to see if I'm still interested, so if you are like me, titles are pretty important.
What about titles to help you write? The first part of this story starter is to take a memory, or something that is happening to you right now and give it a title.
Example:
The other day I was in my office and I could hear a bunch of laughing coming from the laundry room. It was two little girls (7-8 years old) and they had their heads together and just laughing and giggling. The first thing that came to me (as a title for the scene I was watching) was: "Giggle Me a Secret" I wrote that down, and then I wrote down a little bit about what I was seeing and then added some other things that popped into my mind that might go along with the story. So now I have a new idea for a story, I kinda like the title and it all came from my first thought (title) of a situation/scene...so put a title to the things around you and see what happens...
Now for the second part of this exercise: After you have written down the title that comes to mind and a little bit about the scene)
Now take that same scene and change it.
Example: The two little girls were 7-8 years old in my original thought, but what if they were older and at the mall...I might change the original scene to the this:
Two 15 year olds sitting in the food court, pointing, whispering and giggling at some teenage boys...my first thought for a title for this scene might be:
"A Giggle for Your Thought" (okay, so every title you have won't be great...grin), but go with it. Picture the new scene in your head and see what happens...the title might become a line in the book or a new title might come to mind once you add a little of your own details to your scene...
And remember...if aging the girls don't work, then make them younger, or make it a mom and her toddler...the idea is to get the first thought down and then mix it up...if you want or keep it as you see and title it...
Hugs...
10 comments:
Good idea to get the thought down. I had two good thoughts this weekend and I was going to write them down but then I thought, "Oh, I'll remember it. It's only two things."
Getting old don't cha know?...I can't for the life of me remember those two great thoughts. Next time, it will be pen to paper.
;-) Thanks for the reminder.
I am TERRIBLE with titles. I need title remediation or something. Or maybe just a little practice; I might try this.
I agree -- titles and cover art are everything when it comes to appeal.
I'm not a good titler, either. It's something of a miracle that 50% of my published stuff DOES bear my original title.
And oh boy, do we need to write ideas down! Doesn't matter how great or simple it is, if I don't write it down I'll lose it. And now Kim and I will repeat in unison: "This is not due to age, this is not due to age . . ."
ohhhh! fun! I'll have to try this.
This sounds like fun. Sometimes I have the title before I even have a story. I have one like that now and I'm waiting to be struck with a storyline to go with it. :)
I sometimes get inspired by an idea for a title, too. I've also learned to google them before I get too attached - amazing how many are taken!
Great idea. Titles are important, great way to brainstorm titles and story ideas!
Good writing exercises. It's similar to how I came up with the idea for my novel. Will have to think about changing the idea, but after I've written the novel, as I don't want to get side-tracked (as I often do).
This is a really good exercise.
Ray Bradbury in his book Zen in the Art of Writing wrote about writing and collecting titles. I have pages and pages of titles from which many stories have spung.
kim...I am the same way...if I don't write it down, it is gone for good...sigh...
carrie...practice makes perfect...or so they say...grin...
marcia...I'm willing to change any title I have as long as the publisher...publishes my story...grin...
christy... grin...
rena...I have several titles that just came to me, but no story yet...one day though...one day..grin...
adrienne...I never thought about googling my titles...my luck, the one title that I LOVE will be the one title that has been used before...just my luck...grin...
kelly...hope it helps...
sruble...being side-tracked is a way of life sometimes...like you, I do this too often also...grin...
bish...sounds like an interesting book...will have to check it out...
Post a Comment