Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Tuesday's green living tips

Before I get into my green living tip, I have to tell you guys about a wonderful surprise that I got in the mail. A few days ago, I got this package in the mail...I thought it was something I had ordered, so I didn't really pay much attention and I didn't open the box...then I get this other box, so I look at it and the 2nd box was what I had ordered, so I thought I had better see what was in the first box was...Well it was from WOW (Women On Writing)...

I didn't know this but I had won an honorable mention for my story "Memories" in their Summer 2008 Flash Fiction contest...I hope it is okay, that I'm going to post my entry here on my blog (I looked and didn't see it anywhere on their site, so I hope that means it still belongs to me...)

So here is my Honorable Mention story:

Memories

Laughter was the only hint someone was in the corner booth. The high wooden panels had concealed the occupants into a world of their own. The residents were two sisters remembering a lifetime in one afternoon.

"Do you remember when..." and "How about the time..." floated through the air, mixing with the cigarette smoke in the restaurant. Emotions and memories took them on a carousel ride through the ups and downs of their childhood. Their public time machine filled with smiles and tears from a more innocent time in their lives.

Food, ordered hours before, was cold from too much talking and not enough eating. Silence only came when they stopped talking to catch their breath.

Soon the memories slowed and the tears and laughter were gone. They sat for a moment, caught up in how far their lives have come since actually living those memories. And in that moment, they grew up. Adults again. Their responsibilities were too many to remain in their childhood.

They did not hate where life had taken them. Both were in marriages that made them happy. Both had children they loved. Each of them were building new memories with families of their own. They just needed a day of childhood memories, so they would feel young again.

Neither wanted to leave the shelter that had brought them uninterrupted time for their past, but they knew it was time. It was time to return to the world of today and leave the world of yesterday behind them.

Together they walked toward the front of the restaurant. Each step took them further out of their childhood and back into the world of making dinners and paying bills. Each step took them closer into the world of grown-up things.

The closer they got to the door, they realized the weather had changed. Without words, the sisters looked at each other and knew. Fate had given them one last chance to let the little girls inside them play.

The doors opened and with a burst of giggles they stepped once more into the past, and they danced in the rain.



Okay...back to the green living tips...

Everyone is learning about their carbon footprint these days, but have you ever thought about your pet's carbon pawprint?

Here are some tips on decreasing your favorite pet's carbon pawprint:

  1. Shampoo your pet with natural things instead of the harsh shampoos from the stores...an old sock with 1/2 cup of old fashioned oatmeal (dry) poured inside and then the end tied shut makes a wonderful natural 'soap' bath for your pet. Run water into the tub, sink, etc dip your oatmeal sock in the water and then wash your pet with it...the oatmeal is great for your pet's skin and makes their fur soft...
  2. Cook for your pet...did you know that they classify the animals that make up your dog's food as 4-D...this means: they are “Dead, Dying, Diseased, or Down (Disabled)” when they line up at the slaughterhouse - Cook Real Food for Your Dog
  3. Last but not least...lets talk about your pet's poop - cats and dogs create 10 million tons of waste a year that ends up in the landfills - Lower your pet's carbon pawprint
Hugs...

6 comments:

Kelly Polark said...

Congrats, Brenda! What a wonderful story. Whenever my best friend and I enjoy a dinner out together (which isn't as often as we'd like), we end up giggling for hours-catching up on new news and laughing over old stories!
Great dog tips, my hubby and I were talking about dog food what we read was in there (shocking!). Also, I throw my doggie waste into our forest! No landfills full of my doggie doo ;)

Tonya said...

I loved your story. Oh my...you can write girl! Love the tips about the pet "carbon pawprints". Funny story about where our poop goes. They go outside in a yard we have for them. One day...cause I am sooooo horrible at wanting to weed wack out there....we found tomato plants!!!!! Guess the dog had ate some tomato seeds!!!!!!! Maybe we should feed her some corn! LOL

Kimbra Kasch said...

WOOT-WOOT!!!

Emotions and memories always go hand-in-hand. :) At least for me.

Adrienne said...

Great story, Brenda. Congrats!
That's a very sad fact about the pet food...

Brenda said...

Thanks everyone...I forgot to tell you what I got though...duh me...grin...I got a nice size canvas bag and 4 books and a very nice note handwritten by Angela from WOW! It was very nice to get a handwritten note and not a standard letter...

As for the dog food...isn't that yucky...this is why I have always cooked for Koda...

Rena Jones said...

Great story, Brenda!