Sunday, August 22, 2010

AMT...RW2Fre w/ abbrs?

Answer me this are we to free with abbreviations? (AMT...RW2Fre w/ abbrs?)

This came up recently as a discussion between myself and friend's teen daughter...she...being a lot like me...had an opinion and she shared it...she loved books as a child but found them too long now...she can read and type text all day long, but isn't interested anymore in reading real words on a page...so I asked about reading from a Kindle or something like that...still she wasn't interested...

As writers we revise, revise and revise even more before we even think about sending our blood, sweat and tears out to editors, publishers, agents, etc...

But how do we write for the young person these days when they don't read words, they read jumbled letters that mean something, and I have no clue what most of those jumbled letters mean...

A MG novel can average between 25k and 45k words...Twitter only allows you to post up to 140 words...and face book doesn't allow much more than that...Talk about a big difference in word count...grin...

So how do we keep their interest when we write in longhand and they read in shorthand?

4 comments:

Kate said...

That's a good question, and I'm sorry to say I don't really know the answer. But looking at the books that get taken out regularly at our school library, it seems to entail short, short chapters, lots of pictures/cartoons, lots of action and lots of humour.

Bish Denham said...

Obviously there must be some kids who read else books wouldn't continue to get published. And all that shorthand is fine but one still needs to know how to read and write standard English. How to get a kid motivate? Haven't a clue. Except you might tell her she's cutting herself off at the knees or chopping of her head. LOL

Kimbra Kasch said...

LOL - U R 2 funny

Adrienne said...

That's an interesting question. It does seem like attention spans are getting shorter and I wonder if it's the result of newer trends. I don't think the texting is helping with spelling, either!