I just got back from my first class on stress reduction and I have to say...I'm loving it...
Our first night, we learned how to live in the moment...and this was quite an eye opener for me...My mind is always somewhere else...never on what is should be...I grew up in a world of multitasking and now I find that all that multitasking has led to my stress (or at least helped it along). Now I have to try and retrain myself to do one thing at a time...to live in the moment...
We did an exercise that was called Body Scan...this is where we laid on yoga mats on the floor and didn't move for 30 minutes...we went through how each body part felt...in the moment...so the instructor started with the toes and had us think only of our toes...how they felt or didn't feel and then he moved to the foot, ankle, calf, thigh, stomach, etc...we weren't suppose to release any tension that we may have felt, we were just suppose to feel what our body was feeling at that moment...
So through this exercise, my body felt warm or hot until we got to the shoulders...when we had to concentrate on how our shoulders felt, I started shaking and got very cold all over...I found out afterward that this is because I carry a lot of tension in my shoulders and even though I knew this, it took me by surprise at how much I have there...until I had to think about it...
They said this was a good reaction, because this means that I'm becoming aware of the amount of stress, so I will come to recognize when I'm getting very tense and I can do something about it...before it gets bad...
So all-in-all...I enjoyed myself and I look forward to learning more...and relaxing even more...
Hugs...
3 comments:
Laying down for 30 minutes would be a great stress reducer ;) love that yoga
I could use a class like this - it's something I've been trying to work on lately.
There's a class for stress reduction? (she says with the heating pad against her neck)
Post a Comment