Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Finding Things You Need

Today, I spent 3 hours looking for something that no one seems to know how to find. Its a simple little piece of copper that I need for a fuse box at my work. I kept handing it to people behind counters, they would turn it over in their hands like it was going to multiply or become something they knew. After a few minutes of saying nothing, just staring at this piece of copper, they would hand it back to me and say, "sorry can't help you." and that was that. Now each of these places had books to look through, I could seem them behind the counter. Each of these places had computers for research, I know this because I saw other workers looking up things for people on the phone, but for some reason I got the only people in these stores who didn't know about these great inventions. This got me thinking about the way I handle things. When I get writer's block, what do I do. I make excuses to not write. I need to make cookies for my family...I need to bake bread...I need to fold my husband's underwear...Now theres a couple of things wrong with these items...I am NOT Betty Crocker and I could care less if my husband's underwear is folded or even if they are in the right drawer...but it keeps me from finding the answers that my brain is looking for. I need to come up with a better way to handle writer's block. I need to find more creative ways to answer my questions...Search the topic and see what I can find, do a quick writing exercise to get the creative juices flowing...or just keep writing about anything until I come up with something...anything is better then telling myself, "sorry I can't help you"...besides, if I can't solve these things on my own, how in the world am I going to help my MC find the answers they are looking for...Finding the things you need is within your power to do...you just need to look for the answers...don't look at the problem and expect it to solve itself...A bump in the road is just that...a bump...a question is a question and every question has an answer...you just have to decide what answer you will accept and what answer you will search...hugs...

No comments: