Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Favorite Things

Recently, we noticed that Koda was whining a lot and we couldn't figure it out. Then we realized that we hadn't seen his favorite toy (a teddy bear) for quite awhile, so the search was on...we found it two days ago and he hasn't let it out of his sight since...it needs to be washed, but he seems so happy that I just can't bare to take it away from him.

This got me thinking about a few of my favorite things and I realized that I am a lot like Koda when I don't have my favorite things around me. I tend to be moody and stressed.

I love spice scented candles and slow Jazz and I find that when I am alone and I have my candles lit and soft Jazz music playing in the background, I don't feel the stress in my life. I feel comfortable, at ease...and this is what Koda looks like when he is snuggling next to his teddy bear.

Now, I have other favorite things and each of those items make me feel different for different reasons...chocolate for instance can make any situation better, in my humble opinion...My favorite pair of pj's and floppy slippers always make me more creative....why? because I'm comfortable, at ease with me.

I think we need comfortable in our lives, but I also think we fight that feeling some times...When I first met my husband, I felt at ease and comfortable with him from the beginning and that scared me. Comfortable meant boring (or so I thought) but my husband is anything but boring. Looking back, I think I was afraid that I would be boring if I were comfortable. Instead, I am a much better person because of the people and things that make me feel comfortable.

I found my favorite things and became a better person for them and because of them. And on days that I can light my candles, play my Jazz music, eat a little chocolate and snuggle with my husband while I am in my favorite pj's and floppy slippers...I am comfortable and at ease because I have my favorite things around me...and that's what makes favorite things special...the level of comfort that they give you...Hugs...

No comments: