Sunday, January 21, 2007

If only I had time to write...

I often make that very statement to people when they ask me how my writing is going. If only I had time to write...as if that says it all...I always thought it did, until my son said to me, "Mom, don't we all get the same amount of time?" I asked what he meant (not really because I didn't know, but mainly because I was stalling to come up with a better answer) and he replied..."I'm sure other writers are just as busy, but they get it done and since we are all given the same amount of time each day, should that really be your excuse?" When did he get so smart? or maybe I should say when did he become such a smarty pants...grin...But if truth be told, he's right...We all have the same amount of time in a day, we just all spend it very differently...It's sort of like money...give ten people $1,000.00 and you will see ten different spending habits...some will save it, some will spend it all in one place and others will figure out how to get the most from their new found money...same goes with time...some of us save it up (example: we take one day a week to do nothing but write, so that when something comes up that takes that time away from us, we have someone or something else to blame), some of us spend our time (we think we have all the time in the world, so we take on more then we can do, leaving us little to no time for our writing)...the smarter ones figure out how to get the most for their time...(they set up schedules and keep to them, they take notebooks everywhere in case they have 5 free seconds that they can write something down, they read, they learn, they work)...this is the type of time spender I want to be. I'm not there yet, and I'll admit that...after all, isn't that the first step in improving a bad habit...admitting you have one...so I admit it...I am stuck between the saver and the spender when I really want to be the smarter...I always schedule one day (usually Saturday) to do nothing but write...and there always seems to be some form of interruption...but then I always take on so much during the week, that by the time I get to my computer in the evenings to write, my brain has shut down for the day...so how do we become the smarter writer? The same way we make a diet work...a little at a time...I LOVE chocolate...but if I had to give it up all together, then I know I would fail...but if I eat less chocolate each day, I would have a better chance of only wanting chocolate once in a blue moon...so with writing, I have to take baby steps to make me the smarter writer...take one hour a day and brainstorm, or edit a WIP, etc...My full day of writing, plan a block of time, say three hours, and work myself up to a whole day...baby steps...that way its not so scary when I'm sitting in front of a blank screen and I have a whole 8 hours to write something, but my brain has decided to take an 8 hour vacation...at the same time...If only I had time to write...I do have time and its the same amount of time as everyone else...I just have to learn how to spend my time, so I can earn a little interest (from an editor/agent) on my writing...Hugs...

1 comment:

Pamela Morgan said...

Great advice Brenda and what a smart son. Out of the mouths of babes.
Pam