Saturday, January 27, 2007

Give and Take

Sometimes, I think writing is like a marriage...you have to give and take...your main character and you have to agree to disagree sometimes...or one of you will walk out and the story will never be told. Sometimes you work well together and the story just flows from your fingers...but then there are those times when you don't see eye to eye and your story pays the price.

My husband is not a fighter..I am...I will debate and dispute most anything...so my husband has learned to "pretend" to listen until I get things off my chest and I have learned to mumble under my breath until my temper is under control...then we talk things out...it works for us...

Right now I'm having a fight with my main character...you see, its her story, but I want to tell it my way and she doesn't like that...Everything she thinks should happen, I don't...so the story isn't getting written...Everything is at a standstill...

I don't know how to NOT dispute or debate with her and she is the same way...When my husband read my WIP, he said, "That's you at 12, isn't it?" I hadn't thought I was creating a character after me, but the more I thought about, the more I realized he was right...

So how do I argue with my younger self? I don't know...what I do know is that her story, my story, our story isn't getting written because we are both pretty stubborn...maybe I should let her have her way and see what happens...

We don't have to see eye to eye with the characters we create, we just have to learn to give and take so the story can be told...so if you will excuse me, I have a 12 year old character that I need to apologize to, so we can finish her story...Hugs...

No comments: