I feel like we, adults, have let our children down. When did it become so unsafe to send our children to school. My thoughts and prayers go out to all the students, families, friends, teachers, and everyone involved with the Virginia Tech shootings. As sad as I am for everyone involved, I'm just as mad at the reporters. "Were you scared?" "Did you see anything?" "How close did you get to the gunman?" How insensitive can these reporters be? Do they think these young people enjoyed the experience at being shot at or at seeing their friends shot and killed? Are we, as a society, so starved for the horrors of the news that we force these reporters to ask such stupid questions? That we would put these children on screen so the world can see what sadness looks like? Can't we take on the responsibility of being sad, shedding our tears, hugging our loved ones on our own, so we can leave the people who have just lived through this nightmare alone to grieve and to deal with how the world has turned so bad.
I can't believe that times have gotten so bad, that the only way some people can deal with living is to kill innocent people.
Today, our local high school had a bomb threat. A note was left saying that a bomb was going to go off around lunchtime. I have family and friend's children who go to these schools. The students had little bit of no time to leave the building. They were told to go to the middle school and wait or call someone to come get them. These students had to leave their book bags, their coats and anything that they weren't wearing behind. Then they get to the middle school and a short time later, someone makes another bomb threat to the middle school. They end up making the students go outside and stand and wait in the cold until they finally sent them home. The scary part is...they actually found a bomb in the high school. What is this world coming to. These are innocent children who should be worried about things like homework, and dating and talking on the phone...they should not be scared to death to go to school, and parents shouldn't be scared to send their children to school.
Hugs and prayers...Brenda
4 comments:
The media drives me nuts too. We have a few radio guys here who are refusing to discuss the name or anything else about the guy who did the shooting at V. Tech. They don't want to give him any kind of recognition for what he did, and they'll only read the news segments that honour the victims.
I love that.
That's scary stuff about the bomb. Yikes.
Linda...I wish more reporters felt that way. I do feel sorry for the shooters family, but splattering all this pain on the t.v. is just overdone. If I were a parent of a VA Tech student, all I would want to do, is hug them and help the pain go away...I certainly wouldn't be on t.v. answering all those reporter questions...
I know what you mean, Brenda. Right after that happened they had an incident at OU here in Oklahoma. It turned out it was just a student carrying an umbrella. He was tackled and everything. They thought he had a rifle. It's funny now, but I know everyone is scared to death.
Pam
Pam...I guess everyone is on edge right now and people are looking for things that aren't even there to keep something like this from happening again...
I guess I have some good news...they did NOT find a bomb in our high school afterall...
The sad part is the bomb threat was done by two girls (14 & 15 year olds)...
Post a Comment