Saturday, June 2, 2007

Bringing out the bear in and around me

Have you seen the price of food these days? I can't believe that I just paid $3.29 a lb for tomatoes! So I think this is why this situation brought out the BEAR in me...I hate grocery shopping...I mean really hate it. This is why I usually go at 5 a.m. in the morning...I don't have to fight the crowds and believe it or not, the cashiers are usually friendlier (because they haven't had to deal with a lot of bad situations yet), plus I usually get to bag my own groceries...


So here I am at the grocery store at 6 p.m. on a Friday...it's crowded, but I've had a good day so this doesn't bother me too much. Even waiting 20 minutes to get the deli girl to slice my turkey didn't make me mad. Even the fact that the fruits and vegetables didn't look so great and it took me forever to find any that weren't bruised or rotten didn't bother me...but then I got to the register and that's when I SNAPPED! I was watching the bag boy talk to this girl (who by-the-way had too tight a shirt on and would have made Dolly look flat chested, but that's another blog) I guess I shouldn't blame this boy for what happened next, I mean it is hard to put items in a bag when you are looking at a young girls chest (not that I would know this from past experience or anything. I'm just guessing its hard to do because of what he did)...I saw him put my bananas in an empty bag and then he put my lemons in the same bag and then he put my 5 lb bag of grapefruits on top of my bananas...ARGH! What was this boy thinking? So I said, "Don't put those grapefruits on my bananas!" He looked at me like I was crazy, but he pulled the bag out and said "Sorry, I didn't know." so I said, "You didn't know that a 5lb bag of grapefruits would smash bananas?" and at this point little Dolly slipped out...And then right after I had given him lessons on how much grapefruits weighed, he put my tomatoes in a bag and then put those same grapefruits on them! ARGH...ARGH!!! I went crazy...Now I know you all are probably thinking...give the kid a break. Why were you so hard on him? I'm not really sure I can answer that. I just know that the price of fruits and vegetables is sky high and this kid was smashing them! So it the BEAR in me came out and I lost it. Then on the way home, I calmed down (a little bit) and decided that it wasn't his fault. It was Food Lion's fault for not training him. And this young man wasn't the only bagger who has bagged my groceries wrong. I've had baggers put ice cream with my bread or canned food with my bread or fruits. So I decided to email FL and tell them what happened and how disappointed I was in the service that I got. This was Friday evening around 8 p.m., so this afternoon the manager from my local FL called me to apologize. He didn't sound sincere, he sounded aggravated that he had to do it. Like I was a gnat flying around and he couldn't get rid of me. So I'm still not happy with FL and not sure if I'll go back...So that's my first BEAR story...



Now for my second BEAR story...this evening I'm sitting in my living room, talking to Jeff. Koda's on the back of the couch sleeping (he loves to sleep here, because he look out the windows when he's not asleep)...all of a sudden, Koda jumps up and starts growling. Jeff and I look out the window and this is what we see:







The white part on the right side of the photo is my front porch. (oh...and this my wonderfully green grass yard that Jeff and I planted over mother's day weekend...ain't it beautiful...grin...the brown spot that the bear is on is where I agreed to end the yard so that Jeff could keep his woods...even though are back yard is nothing but woods...men...)...Anyway, back to my bear...I couldn't believe there was a bear this close to my house. Not that Jeff hasn't told me this might happen, but I always thought it would be in the forest behind our house, not my newly front yard...
Maybe this was someones way of telling me the old bear in me should have stayed inside and not made itself known...hmmm...okay that's my weekend...Hugs...

2 comments:

Linda D. (sbk) said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's anal about how my groceries are packed.

I have a system. I go out of my way to grab the heavy stuff from the bottom of the cart so once it's scanned, it will be first at the bottom of the cart. Then I do boxes (like cereal and such) and then the soft stuff like fruit and veggies. I also make a point of keeping all the frozen things together because they help each other stay frozen that way.

By the time I get to the van, I'm ready to kill someone when I see that they've put my eggs and bread near the bottom of the cart and sitting on top are things like cans of tomatoes and bottles of Tide. And the frozen peas with the bananas! How stupid can you be to stick frozen items with bananas?? I swear, do they go out of their way to rearrange everything the wrong way???
Our grocery store even offers to take your groceries to your car for you and they load them ... hell no!!

Hmm.. you seem to have caught me on a bear day too.

Linda D. (sbk) said...

Hey there Brenda!!

Tag you're it!

Come to my blog to see my meme and then it's your turn to do one.

:D