I have NEVER claimed to be a cook. Heck, I can barely boil water! But every now and again, I get the feeling that Betty Crocker is trying to teach me something. This weekend was one of those teaching come to life.
I decided to make baby back ribs using a meat rub that I saw on the food network, along with a Caramel Nut Tart for dessert. Yes you read that correctly...I can't cook, but I watch the food network...I didn't say I didn't enjoy "watching" others cook, I just don't enjoy "actually" cooking...
I was so happy, everything smelled great, I found all the ingredients (which is sometimes very hard to do in my small town)...and it looked like my timing was going to be right on the mark (usually I have one thing done and something else that won't be done for up to a half hour later)...so I was feeling pretty good...
The house smelled wonderful. Jeff and Josh both wanted to know when dinner would be ready because they couldn't wait to eat whatever it was that smelled so good....I was thrilled...maybe there was hope for me yet...
Wrong!!! I got everything on the table...it all still looked wonderful, we filled our plates and started eating...and just like in the movies, we all spit it out at the same time...
I couldn't believe it, it tasted horrible!!! The baby back ribs were way to salty and the potatoes I made had no flavor...Okay, so I'm no cook, but the dessert still looked wonderful, so lets try it...
I couldn't even cut through it...I was like concrete that had set up...Looked great...could have been in a picture in Better Homes & Garden, but looking at it was all you could do...sigh...
So here I sit at 6:30 p.m., my family ended up eating PB&J sandwiches and we are going to put the baby back ribs out and hope the ground hogs eat them so they won't come back to dig up our yard...if anything could chase a wild animal off your land, it would be my cooking...isn't that something to be known for...???
I guess Betty Crocker is just wasting her time with me...I do feel sorry for Jeff. He comes from a farming family and his mom is a wonderful cook. Josh is use to this kinda thing from me, so he's use to eating PB&J sandwiches or cereal...
Don't get me wrong, there are a few things I CAN cook...but I get tired of the same old thing and would like to change it up a little.
I would love to go to a cooking class, but need money for that. I would love to be able to open my cabinets and be able to make a dinner out of whatever I have in there...I pull recipes off the net, out of the many, many cookbooks that I have and from friends and family recipes that they have given me, but the recipe (no matter where I get it) comes out right...sigh...
Jeff is okay with my lack of cooking (at times), but I know he gets a little aggravated that he has to keep eating PB&J...
I guess I was meant to be a Goddess...not a Domestic Goddess....just a Goddess...grin...I think I can live with that...At least I'm learning to be okay with it...Hugs...
5 comments:
Brenda,
I had to laugh about your not being able to cut the dessert. I came across a recipe that sounded so chocolatey, so carmelly, so gooey that I just had to try it.
Well, it was hard as concrete. We had to break it apart with our hands.
dmh
www.summerfriend.blogspot.com
LOL! I'm not a big fan of cooking, but I love to bake. I've always been lucky with baking. Too bad we can't have dessert every night, eh?
Hi dmh...and welcome to Brenda's Page...my cooking skills have always been a little lacking...my poor family...thank goodness for take out...
Hi Linda...
If I made dessert every night...I would be a lot thinner...giggle...
I think I'll just keep buying the good stuff and leave the cooking to someone else...giggle...
LOL. Funny stuff. Stick to writing. That you're good at. :o)
I would love to stick to writing, but Jeff keeps telling me our wedding vows said I would feed him for better or worse...grin...
Post a Comment