Sunday, October 21, 2007

Can you hear that?

It is the sound of apron strings being cut and my heart breaking. My son, who just turned 20 has announced that he is moving out. excuse me while I wipe the tears from my cheeks...

It comes as a shock to us because we didn't even know he was looking to move. He will be moving this coming week. I need another tissue please...

I remember moving out of my parents house. I was almost 19. I don't remember that being as painful as this. But now I guess I know what they went through...although they aren't being very helpful at the moment. You see, Josh will be moving closer to them and farther from me, so they figure he will be doing his laundry / grocery shopping at their house instead of driving the 30 minutes to my house. So they will see him even more then they do now. My parents always said they would get me back for all the gray hairs I caused them. I guess the time has come...grin...

Josh's bedroom here at the house is painted Miami Dolphin orange and Jeff has always joked that Josh won't be at the bottom of the mountain before white paint gets put on those walls. But now that Josh is actually leaving, I've told Jeff he is not to touch those walls...after all, he may come back home one day...sniff...sniff...a mother can hope...

I'm dealing better then I did a few days ago and I know it is not the end of the world, BUT Josh is my only child (at least the only child I have that isn't covered in fur) and he and I have been through a lot in the past 20 years. We've always had a very close relationship and he knew he could talk to me about anything. I was lucky when Jeff came into our lives in that he and Josh got along so well. Josh was 7 when I started dating Jeff, 12 when Jeff and I got married and 14 when Jeff adopted him. They argue like father and son, gang up on me like father and son and even though Jeff's blood doesn't flow through Josh's veins, Josh has so many of Jeff's characteristics...

I'm gonna miss my little Jolly boy...

A friend of mine said to look on the bright side, I can dance naked in my living room now without fear of getting caught...

With my luck, my mother-in-law will come for an unexpected visit just as I'm doing the twist and shout....grin...

Gotta go...I need to go to the store. I'm buying an apron with tougher strings that can't be cut so easily so Koda can't cut them...grin...hugs...

3 comments:

angelarene said...

I was just thinking about how sad I will be when my two youngest finally move out, and although I used to think I would be okay with it, after a lot of thought, it seriously brought tears to my eyes. Although the thought of dancing naked in my living room is tempting, I would be happy if my kids would always live with me. My oldest son Josh(that's my 20 year old's son's name too)moved to Virginia 2 years ago and I'm happy to say we've remained close AND I have considerably less laundry to do? AND my personal cache of junk food lasts longer too:)I hope the transition goes well and that you don't shed too many tears.

Danette Haworth said...

Time--wish we could freeze it.

Brenda said...

Angela...I agree, I will be more then happy to give up dancing naked in my living room if it meant he would stay...Josh has done his own laundry since he was 13, so that won't change for me...BUT I didn't think about the junk food lasting longer...I may have to rethink the tears...grin...

Danette...Since I can't freeze time, do you think putting a lock on his bedroom door and locking him in would work? grin...