Saturday, October 27, 2007

A little laughter

I have been interviewing people for a cleaning position at my complex all week. I have met some very interesting people (to say the least), so I thought I would share some of my other interviewing stories with you.

Over the past 12 years, I have interviewed people for the position of Maintenance person and now cleaning person and here are some of the ones that made me laugh:

1. I had Elvis apply for the MP job. Honest! And I don't live close to Vegas.
2. I had Two-face (from the batman movies) come in...one side of his hair was slicked back, combed, neat and the other side of his hair looked like bozo the clown.
3. I've had the green apple come in. This fella was wearing an all lime green suit, shirt, tie, socks and shoes and he smelled like apples!
4. The bouncer/stripper. This guy thought his talents at stripping would help him be a great MP...I told him clothes were required at all times...he wasn't interested after that.
5. The peeping tom...I liked this guy, he was friendly, seemed to know maintenance, etc. so I pulled his criminal record (which is required by our company and the applicants have to sign a form giving us permission to do so) and found out that he was a convicted peeping tom.
6. I had a lady bring her two children with her (for the CP job). I would guess these children were 3 and 5 years old. They ran around the office, getting into things during the interview and when she was done filling out the application she asked if she got the job, would it be okay to bring the kids to work with her. I said, no, she wouldn't be able to do that and she said, they would be a great help and I wouldn't have to pay them...
7. I had the naturalist apply. I thought he meant he didn't eat meat when he told me he was a naturalist, but I soon found out that he meant he was a nudest. No wait, I did hire this fella (before I knew he was a naturalist) He showed up in a dress one day to work...it wasn't pretty...sigh...
8. I had the guy who interrupted me in the middle of his interview so that he could call his girlfriend to let her know that he was in the middle of an interview, so she wouldn't leave him because she had told him he needed to start looking for a job or she was going to leave him. When he got her on the phone, he wanted me to tell her how the interview was going. All I could do was stare at him...

These are just a few of the interviews I have had over the years and this past week has been no different. What can I say...the tenants aren't the only ones keeping me on my toes...grin...

Have you ever had to interview someone? Do you have an interviewing tale you would like to share? hugs...

2 comments:

Danette Haworth said...

Each one of these is a great seed for a short story. Great snippets!

Brenda said...

danette...I have turned some of the things that have happened over the years into stories. I change the resident to a child and the complex becomes the neighborhood. It has been quite fun trying to figure out a way to convert the truth to a story a young reader would read...grin...