Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Hare Brained vs Tortoise Mind

I never really thought about the fact that each side of my brain is so different that it changes my writing depending on which side I am using...

"The left side of the brain is the logical side and likes to move quickly. It prefers order and works step-by-step. The left brain is the rational brain working to find answers to everything..."

"Although the logical left brain prefers words, the right brain doesn't use words. It thinks in symbols, in pictures. It sees everything at once. Where the left brain is careful and deliberate, the right brain is spontaneous."

Per "Picture Writing" by Anastasia Suen

So do you see the pictures of how you want your story to be (tortoise) and then write your thoughts down (hare)?

Or do you get your thoughts on paper (hare) and then add most of the details afterwards (tortoise)?

I think I am more of the hare to tortoise. If I don't get my thoughts down quick, then they are gone forever. So I jot down ideas and then go back later and bring out the pictures in my words. I have had moments where I can see what I want to write, but that doesn't seem to work as well for me....

So, do you prefer to be the tortoise or the hare? Hugs...

5 comments:

Linda D. (sbk) said...

I'm definitely a right brainer. Everything I write comes to me in pictures. If I can't see what I want to write, I can't write. When it comes to editing and revision, I have to force the left side of my brain to take over, but it's not nearly as much fun.

SkyeMadison said...

I see it first but I have to jot it quickly so I don't forget it. I can see every detail of a story before I ever pick up the pen or sit before my keyboard but if I wait to write it down, it's gone. My best stuff I recorded on a tape first then played it back and typed it into my laptop. So does that mean I'm a tortoise first or a hare?

Brenda said...

I have scrap pieces of papers all over the place where I have written down ideas, etc...I think I need to be more like an anteater or something so that I can suck up all those ideas and figure out what I want to do with them...grin...

angelarene said...

I have scraps of ideas everywhere. I got myself one of those index card holders with dividers and all of my ideas get written down and organized in there. That seemed to help(helps my desk stay clean as well). Also if I'm in the middle of writing on the computer, I take my ideas and put them on the very last page of my work to spur ideas later on.
I'm definitely a hare, I get down dialogue first with action tags then go for detail on the next run through.

Brenda said...

Angela...love the idea of the index card holder...I will have to try that. I end up going through the trash 3 or 4 times before finally letting Jeff take it to the dump because I just know I threw away that scrap of paper with the winning idea on it...grin...