Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Green Living Tips

Why Recycle?

Have you ever thought about why we should recycle? Maybe the following 5 stats will answer this question for you...
1. In the U.S., 40% of the waste is paper, but only 25-30% of that paper waste is being recycled nationwide.

2. The equivalent of 30 million trees a year are thrown away by Americans. And this is just from newsprint (magazines, newspapers, etc)
3. Recycling one soda can a day can save enough energy to operate your television for 3 hours.

4. A glass bottle thrown away today will still be there in the year 3000.

5. You would be able to make 436 trips around the earth a year, with the amount of Styrofoam cups that are used in the U.S.
It is not too late to start taking an active role in saving the environment. A few simple things can make BIG difference.
And if you tell two friends, and they tell two friends and so on and so on, the difference would be GIGANTIC!

4 comments:

Cate Gardner said...

Wow! One soda can can really do all that. I don't know the facts and figures but I do recycle.

Danette Haworth said...

Okay, number three blows me away!

Linda D. (sbk) said...

We always recycle everything, but I'm still lousy about using plastic bags in stores. I'm trying so hard to use totes, but I always forget to take them into the store with me and I refuse to buy a new one every single time I go in there.

But I am getting there. Slowly.

Thanks for all the tips. :)

Brenda said...

Catherine and Danette - #3 was a little mind boggling for me also...and #4, because I drink a Lipton Pure Leaf Black Tea every morning and it is in a glass bottle...sigh...but I just can't give up my tea!

Linda...It took me a little to get use to them also...I had them, but I would go into the store without them, so I would buy another...I probably have 10 of them now, so I stuff them all into one and I keep it in the front seat where I can see them...when I get in the car, I toss my pocket book on top of them, so I rmember them...I also keep one in my pocket book, rolled up with a rubber band around it, so if I go in for something small I have it...We are learning as we go also...

Thanks for reading!