Friday, August 29, 2008

Fixing it Fridays

Today at work I had to help my maintenance man get a vacant unit ready...It has been awhile since I played maintenance woman, so the day has just knocked me out, so I decided that today's Fixing it tip will be about: RELAXING...

Need a relaxing bath?
  1. Dissolve 1/2 cup of baking soda in a bathtub filled with warm water for soft, smooth skin and a relaxing bath...
  2. Add a handful of Dry Milk Powder to warm running bathwater for a luxurious milk bath. The lactic acid in the milk softens the skins...
  3. Add six tablespoons of French's mustard and a handful of Epsom Salt to the bathtub as it fills for a soothing, rejuvenating mustard bath that will ease the kinks and stiffness in the muscles...

Now what about your feet?

  1. Put 2 Alka Seltzer tablets on a plate. Add only one drop of peppermint essential oil to each tablet. Allow 10 minutes for the oil to penetrate the tablets. Add one tablet to a foot-soaking tub filled with warm water for a refreshing foot "fizzie" therapy...store the other tablet in a plastic container with a lid or a decorative jar/bottle with a lid.

Can't forget your hands now can we?

  1. Dampen two oven mitts (yes, the mittens you wear when taking hot things out of the oven), then wring them out, so they are just damp.
  2. Microwave the mitts for a minute at a time until they are warm/hot, but not too hot that you can't handle them.
  3. Smear a good amount of hand lotion, margarine or shortening on your hands.
  4. Put each of your hands inside a large plastic bag (like the kind you get from the grocery store)
  5. Then put each plastic covered hand inside the warm/hot mitts
  6. Now sit and relax for at least 10 minutes to give the "cream" a chance to lubricate your hands...
  7. Remove the mitts and bags, blot of the excess "cream" and enjoy your soft, salon-style hands

You don't think I'm going to forget your facial do you?

  1. A wonderful cleanser for all skin types - take 1 teaspoon plain yogurt and 1/2 teaspoon honey - mix them together in a small bowl and massage all over your face. Remove with a warm, wet washcloth.
  2. A Facial Exfoliation creates beautiful smooth skin - Mix 1 egg yolk with 1 tablespoon of oat bran or instant oatmeal. (you can add a teaspoon of warm water for a smoother consistency). Massage mixture all over your face and neck in small circular motions for 2 to 3 minutes. Rinse with warm water and a warm, wet washcloth.
  3. A toner for all skin types - Steep a green tea bag in 1 cup hot water, let cool. Add 1 cup of fresh water and pour into a small plastic bottle. Apply to the face with a cotton ball or spray it on...let the liquid evaporate on your skin. (the evaporation of the toner is what helps tighten the pores) - you can store the left-over toner at room temperature for up to 2 weeks...
  4. Apply your favorite store bought facial moisturizer

If you like using a facial mask, try this easy and convenient one - open a small can of commercially prepared tomato paste and smear all over the face. Rinse after 5 minutes with warm water...follow up with toner and moisturizer...store left-over paste in a container with a lid in the refrigerator for a week.

If you would like more information on the feet, hands and facial items I've listed, these ideas were taken from the book Natural Beauty

So take a little time to pamper yourself...it will make you happy and you know that means that everyone around you will be happy...I'm off to relax in a milk bath...Hugs...

4 comments:

Kimbra Kasch said...

I'm afraid if I used the milk powder, the mustard, the salt, my dogs would think I was a chew toy.

:D

Brenda said...

LOL...my little pup hasn't chewed off any of my toes...yet...grin...

Marcia said...

This is so cool! Think of all the $ we could save if we just used these around-the-house things. I actually do something pretty similar to the hand treatment. The one that most surprised me was the mustard. No, make that the tomato paste facial. :)

Brenda said...

marcia...I know what you mean about the tomato mask...I thought that was a little over the top, but a few friends and I got together to try some of these "recipes" and were amazed at how fresh our faces felt. The acid in the tomato paste actually works something like an acid peel from a spa, only a lot less expensive...grin...