You will need a few items...a tape recorder and one food item...
Using the tape recorder, you will be able to record the first things that come to mind.
- Take a peach, apple, cookie or something fun like Jell-o...
- Now close your eyes and touch the item. I mean really touch it. What do you feel? What does it remind you of? What do you think of as you are touching it?
- With your eyes still closed, smell the item. What do you smell? (I don't just mean it smells peachy, but what does the smell of peach remind you of?) Is there a memory it brings up? Don't just say it smells sweet, sweet can smell like lots of things...
- Eyes still closed, what do you remember about the item? What does it look like? Did it have a dimple? Did it have a lighter spot? Don't peek, just say what you can remember.
- Now eyes still closed, taste the item. Swirl it around in your mouth. What do you taste? For me, if I was using a chocolate chip cookie, I would taste Heaven (or at least what I think Heaven would taste like...grin)...How does it feel in your mouth?
When you are done "describing" your item, listen to your recording and "see" what just happened.
Now you have the tips to describe everything. You may not be able to taste some things, but maybe you can hear those items (toilet bowl water...you wouldn't want to taste that (I hope), but you could flush the toilet and listen (with your eyes shut) to hear how the water sounds)...
So the next time you are having trouble describing something...close your eyes and see it in a totally different way...Hugs...
School Day #1
With the talk about school starting, it got me a thinking. When I was taking a writing course, I was very focused. I stayed within the deadlines given and actually got my writing done, so I decided to enroll myself in a little homeschooling...
I have set up a schedule, deadlines and even homework! I'm such a mean teacher...grin...
Because of the holiday, I have today off, so what better time to start my first day back to school...
Today, I decided would be a good day to catch up on reading. I am reading two middle grade novels, writing in my reading journal and then I am reading the last 3 chapters of my middle grade novel that I have been writing...and my homework is to write 2 more chapters for that MG novel.
9 comments:
Sounds like a great exercise - and a good excuse to eat something decadent!
Hi adrienne! Everytime I do this exercise I pick out things like Dove Chocolate, Hershey's Chocolate, Reese's Cups...I have about a book alone on what I "see" when I see chocolate...grin...
Very nice exercise to hone ones observational skills.
Thanks bish!
Your story starters sound like fun. I'll have to do those with the boys when we start school. Thanks Brenda!
Story starters are so helpful.
I'm most fascinated with your school day! Do you have a whole semester on a syllabus? :)
rena...I'm glad you like them and I hope they help!
marcia...I couldn't do a syllabus, that would remind me too much of high school...grin...but I did create a daily calendar and broke it down into times/classes and assignments, but only for the month...at the end of September, I will see if something needs to be adjusted...
ohhh! This exercise sounds really fun! I'll look forward to doing this one!
thanks for another great tip! :0)
Christy
Christy...Glad they are helping!
Post a Comment