What does that mean? Is it like the movies, where the boy gets the girl and they ride off into the sunset staring contently into each other's eyes...I think Happily Ever After means whatever you want it to mean.
I have friends who are married and they won't take vacations without their partner, and/or they won't spend time with their friends without their partner and/or they can't make it through the day without calling/texting their partners many, many times...and heavens forbid they should have an argument...
My husband and I have a different kind of "Happily Ever After"...
Hubby and I have been compared to a storm. He is the quiet before the storm and I am the storm in full force. Nothing bothers him and most everything bothers me. We argue quite often...nothing serious (usually)...Mainly we aggravate each other until we start laughing...
We talk to each other once or twice during the day...he usually calls me around 10 a.m. to find out what I'm making for dinner, which usually starts an argument, because I don't think about dinner until I get home (and some days I don't even think about it then)...
Then he calls me around 2 p.m. to ask how my day is going. He milks cows...how hard can that be? They don't talk back. They don't give him reasons for why they aren't giving milk, they just give milk! Why can't he understand that I don't have that luxury. I deal with humans! And these humans always have an excuse. So my day usually isn't going very well, so quit asking!
When we go shopping together, we walk through the front door of the store, make sure each of us has our cell phones and then we go our separate ways...we call each other when we are done shopping or if he needs PTB (permission to buy)...grin...
Spending the day together usually means I am on the computer or reading and he's in the basement piddling around.
Our evenings are usually him going to bed early (because he gets up early to milk those darn cows) and I am up late usually writing.
So when do we spend time together? How are we making this marriage work? We make a date with each other a couple nights a week. We might get pizza and bring it back to the house to eat, watch a movie or just have a little pillow talk...the important part is, we don't answer the phone, we don't cut the computers on, we don't answer the door if someone knocks...this time is for us and only us...and this kind of marriage works for us...Hubby and I just celebrated our 9th Wedding Anniversary, and we've been together for 13 and half years and things are still going strong...
Don't believe the movies, the important thing is for you to find the perfect "Happily Ever After" that works for you...and I hope you found your Happily Ever After...
Hugs...

7 comments:
Wonderful post. You sound more along the lines of me and my husband. He's a republican - I'm a democrat, and that's just the beginning. But, we've been happily ever after (married) for over 25 years. :)
Thanks for sharing.
Sweet post, Brenda. Congratulations on your anniversary.
This post made me smile! :0) My hubby and I are similar as well, only I"m the more quite before the storm and he's the full force tornado! ;0) He's all business, I'm all arts and crafts. I often take the kids for a weekend at the beach weather he can make it or not. He doesn't mind 'cause he doesn't like sand. Shocking. I know. who knew sand could be disliked. ;0)
But it works. We've been happily married for 15 years and still going strong. Not every day or even every year has been great, but we've worked through the rough spots and are all the better for it.
Great post! Very sweet. Thanks for the smiles. Movies and t.v. can really give people unrealistic expectations!
Christy
I am the tornado, no doubt. Well, my kids are the tornado, really. I am the sea that allows itself to be whipped into a frenzy by them. Hubbby is definitely the sky, stormy but consistent...
I feel so much better knowing that my hubby and I aren't "strange"...
Some of our friends can't understand that we don't have to spend every waking moment together...
Quality not quanity makes this work for us...
Thanks for sharing your "Happily Ever Afters"...Hugs...
If my husband and I spent every waking moment together, we'd never make it. The idea that a couple have to be glued together is just nonsense, isn't it?
My husband is all angst and tension. He goes wild when he can't get things under control, whereas I tend to be relaxed and laid back (compared to HIM, at any rate). The good thing is, my husband knows how to organize schedules and take care of our finances. I'm good at keeping the household in order and helping him chill out. We complement each other, and though we quarrel all the time, we are very happy together. I've almost never seen a marriage that fits that romantic notion so many of us start out with.
I think that is what happened with my first marriage...I was expected it to be like a movie...I was much older and wiser when I met my now husband and I was past that notion and we have a much better marriage...
Like mary said...we complement each other, argue all the time, but are very, very happy...grin..
Post a Comment