Saturday, September 20, 2008

Lucy and Ethel

Today, I was going through some things and I found some pictures of my sis and I on one of our many hilarious trips. Our family calls us Lucy and Ethel because when we leave the house (just the two of us, with no one to keep us on track)...almost anything can happen...and usually does...

My sister and I can't back out of our driveways without getting lost...so when we travel away from home, our hubby's don't know what might happen...and they both carry around an ATLAS so when we call, they can tell us how to find the correct road/town/and even sometimes state that we are looking for...

Once, we were in VA Beach and we were coming from the VA Beach area back to Norfolk where out hotel was...and somehow we ended up almost to the North Carolina state line...we called the state police on the cell and told them we needed help finding our way back...it took the North Carolina state police and then the VA state police to get us back to our hotel...

The following year we went back and the local Armed Forces had to get us going back in the right direction...we haven't been back since...

We were eating at a restaurant and going through the buffet line, I happen to smile at a gentleman...nothing more then an innocent smile to say "hello"...but when my sis and I got back to our table, this man followed us...he sat down at our table and ate with us...we had not invited him, he just joined our table...he was funny and had lots of personality...he showed us his wife (she was sitting at another table)...once when she got up to go to the buffet, she came by our table to Thank my sis and I...it seems that she doesn't get to enjoy a quiet evening very often, so the fact that we were entertaining her hubby, meant she was able to enjoy her evening...we were a little spooked, but we asked the waitress (out of ear shot, of course) about the man...she said he was a regular customer and often spoke to everyone that came in, but usually he ate with his wife and talked her ear off...what can ya do...

We have gone away for the weekend and decided to color our hair (I do this often, so I didn't think anything could go wrong...huh...what did I know)...she ended up with a pretty shade of purple and I ended up with a nice tangerine orange shade...if you don't know...permanent hair color means just that...permanent...we went to the first store we could find and purchased hats to wear...of course, when we got home, we had to take the hats off...the hubby still doesn't let me live that one down...but it didn't scare me...I'm still coloring my hair...my sis...not so much...grin...

Once a friend of mine had moved and my sis and I decided to go for a visit...I was lost (go figure), so I called the number I had and a woman answered, I started right into my story of needing directions, etc. so she gave me the directions...when we got to the house, we knocked on the door and this little old lady answered...I had called the wrong number and this poor lady misunderstood me and thought I was someone else (who she was waiting for and she had thought she was giving her friend directions when she gave them to me)...

Lately, Lucy and Ethel have had too many responsibilities to get lost...we haven't had a chance to get away for a girl's weekend in a long time...but it was fun to remember a few of the times in the past...

So have you ever had a Lucy and Ethel moment? Hugs...

7 comments:

Cate Gardner said...

Funny stories. :)

I once had a fight with a bottle of hair dye and it turned my hair shades of candy floss pink and orange - scary! Even worse it was days before my eighteenth birthday party.

Brenda said...

catherine...I hope you were able to get the hair color back to normal before your birthday...and we don't learn, we keep right on coloring...grin..

Carrie Harris said...

Heh. Just blogged about it, in fact. It's like we're on the same wavelength or something. ;)

Kelly Polark said...

I've gotten lost so many times that my hubby got me a GPS for Christmas this year!
Life is so busy...I wish my sis and I could go on more adventures together!

Rena Jones said...

What a great post! My husband used to work for an ambulance and then 20+ years in law enforcement, so he's a stickler about having to know EXACTLY where he's going at all times. If he doesn't have his GPS or a map, he's all a-frazzle. One time we were in Las Vegas and wanted to leave the city to visit Red Rock Canyon. He was flipping out about not knowing where to go, how to get there and such. I look at the mountains, see a part that looked kind of red and said, "Let's go that way." He whined and fussed the whole time and before long we drive by a sign that says "Red Rock Canyon State Park". I, of course, got a good laugh over that. But with his work, knowing exactly where he needs to go is important. It sounds like you and your sister have a lot of fun together, Brenda. That's great.

Brenda said...

carrie...your little cooking experience is what made me look for the pictures...it reminded me of something my sis and I would do...

kelly...my hubs has said that I should get one, but what fun would that be to find the place I'm actually going to on the first try...grin...

rena...my hubs is the same way...I remember on one of our road trips to nowhere...just riding around, I told him to put the map up and let me decide where we're going...so at every stop sign or end of the roads, I decided if we turned right or left...he was freaking out by lunchtime...I finally let him get the map out why we ate so he could get us back on track...sigh...grin..

sruble said...

These are great! I love the man that joined you for dinner (and that his wife thanked you) and the little old lady who gave you directions!