Monday, September 15, 2008

Start the Week with a Story Starter

So many things around you can be inspiration when it comes to giving you ideas, but what happens when you have the idea, the story is coming along but then your Main Character leaves you stranded...?

You change your MC's environment...the idea is, your MC won't like being put in a situation they normally wouldn't be in...so they will come back to you and get you back on the right track with their story...

Example: If you write Sci-Fi - put your main character in a scene from Snow White or Sleeping Beauty...

If your MC is an average kid growing up in today's world, then put him/her in the middle of a Star Trek episode...

If your MC is a spoiled rich kid, put them in a scene from the Waltons or Little House on the Prairie...

Mix up your MC's life so maybe they won't be so quick to leave you again...grin...Hugs...


School Day #15

Things have been crazy around here the last week or so, but I've kept up with most everything. I've gotten several stories that have been critiqued out and ready to work on. My "homework" is to have two (hopefully 3) stories ready to put in the mail on Monday when I go back to work...



3 comments:

Carrie Harris said...

I always feel bad when I mess around with my characters' lives. Poor characters. But on the other hand, it sure is fun!

Good luck with those stories!

Adrienne said...

That sounds like a great way to get to know your MC. I'm never sure with a picture book story how much background you really need - but it couldn't hurt to learn something new!
Good luck with your mailings!

Rena Jones said...

Like Adrienne said, it sounds like a great way to get to know your MC better. It's always good to get out of your element or comfort zone and experience life a new way. Good luck with your stories, Brenda!