Thursday, September 11, 2008

Fixing it Fridays

I'm posting this a day early because tomorrow is going to be a long, long day and I won't be able to post...

September 11 means so many different things to so many people. For some, it is a day to remember what was lost, for others a day to remember the fear and horror and others will remember the love they felt for strangers.

So for Fixing it Friday, I've decided to list some ideas on sharing, getting together, remembering and loving...meeting new people and enjoying people from the past...

  1. I haven't thought about this since I was in school, but they have lots of programs out there for PenPals. They have PenPal groups for just about everyone...children and adults alike...Why not reach out and get to know someone. Share your stories and see how very much alike you might be. I had a PenPal when I was 11 years old and we actually met when we were 13. It so much fun getting to know someone and we had so much in common...We spent the summer together when we were 13 and I'm sad to say that there was an accident and she died that summer, but even 29 years later, I still remember Cindy and will always be thankful that my teacher made me write that first letter...
  2. Write a short note to your parents and mail it to them. Let them know how much you love them. Remind them of a favorite family moment. If you have grown children, send them pictures from when they were young and remind them of a special family moment...
  3. Have you lost touch with a school friend. Find them, get back in touch and catch up with the years...
  4. Visit a nursing home. Check with the nursing home's activities director and plan a day for some kids from your church, or other organization to spend a few hours with the residents in the nursing home. It will cheer up the residents and may just teach the kids about life, the way it was and how to live it to the fullest.
  5. Buy a big bag of mints (individually wrapped), some of those small snack ziploc bags, and some blank business cards...type on the card "You are a mint! And I'm glad I met you today"...and hand them out...to the banker, the cashier, a stranger...you never know what that little card/mint might mean to someone...
  6. Buy a couple of gas cards ($5.00 to $10.00 each) and hand them out to people who are pumping gas beside you...to some people, that extra $5.00 that you have just saved them might buy milk for their family...
  7. When you go grocery shopping and there is a buy one, get one...give the free one to someone you know needs it...an elderly neighbor, a homeless shelter, a young mother who is struggling to feed her baby...
  8. Buy donuts for everyone at work...or send your co-workers a card (see #5)...
  9. Make sure you smile at everyone you meet...and say hello...sometimes that is all it takes to turn someones day around...
  10. Spend time sharing that something special that makes you who you are...that is the best gift you can give...

Today is a day to remember...and one we should never forget...but there are 364 other days in the year that we should also make unforgettable for other reasons...a little love can go so far...Hugs...

6 comments:

Carrie Harris said...

Awww. I'm going to go hug someone now. Seriously.

C.R. Evers said...

what a sweet post!!!

((((hugs))) You're a mint! :0)
(virtual mint is coming through)
Christy

Rena Jones said...

Wow, what a great post!

Adrienne said...

Great post and great ideas! Think I'll write someone a letter, and send it in the real mail!

Marcia said...

Great suggestions. #2, #6, and #7 are especially inspiring. In fact, I did #2 about eight years ago. My parents never said a word about receiving the note, but a couple of years later when my dad died I was going through their important papers in a lockbox, and there it was. They felt it important enough to file along with the deeds and insurance policies. :)

Brenda said...

Hello all...I'm glad you liked the post...

I actually did the "mint" idea for my residents. When we did the unit inspections, we left each resident one of these little goodie bags...I got more thank you cards and notes for that little idea then I have for any cookout, party or other activity I have ever had for the residents...isn't it funny how sometimes the smallest of things can make the biggest impact...Hugs...