Today’s green idea is to learn to KISS.
Keep it simple, silly. Changing some basic behaviors and adopting a better habit for a bad one can be simple...
So here we go:
Kool-aid can take the place of acid bowl cleaners. This inexpensive and nontoxic rust remover is "simple" to use...sprinkle some lemon kool-aid on the sides of the toilet and in the water...leave on for an hour, brush and flush...repeat if necessary...(the citric acid oxidizes the rust)...
Insect Repellents contain chemicals that are not only harmful for the insect, but can also be very harmful to you, your family, and your pets. Cockroaches can be kept at "bay" by placing some bay leaves in your cabinets. To prevent ants from getting into your home, sprinkle some dried mint or red pepper where they are entering.
Stain Removal is no problem with a little lemon juice. Instead of using bleach try soaking clothes for 15 minutes prior to washing in 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1/4 cup white vinegar mixed with 1 gallon of warm water.
Smells don't have to stink. Refrigerator smells can be removed by putting a dab of vanilla, lemon or orange extract on a small pad of cotton that is placed inside the refrigerator. Wiping down your refrigerator with a sponge moistened with white vinegar will leave a clean fresh scent and helps prevent mildew.
So KISS those chemicals goodbye and enjoy a little simple living...
8 comments:
Now you just stop that! Why in the world do I have this sudden desire to go wipe out my refrigerator now. You're evil, I tell you, evil!
Awww, you know I'm just kidding, Brenda. It's midnight and I'm still finishing up stuff for school. Maybe the fridge can wait for awhile. ;)
Great tips!
I'm going to buy some lemon Kool-aid the next time we go shopping. I've never heard that one before!
rena...maybe you can make homework for your children to clean your frig...wouldn't it be like a science experiment or something...and bonus points...you don't have to do it...grin...
carrie...I actually use TANG and it works just as well...you can take a can of coca cola and pour that into your toilet and leave it overnight and then flush in the morning...and we drink that stuff...yikes!
I love the Kool-aid idea, but then my dog will be even more convinced that's the place to go for refreshment! One of my husband's little cousins tried mixing Kool-aid in the potty once, just for fun:)
I'll have to try the red pepper for the ants. This past week I've had a fresh strand of unwelcome guests come in my house every morning. I'm so frustrated, and I don't feel good about the insect killer with the pets and the kids in the house. I'll give that one a try for sure!
Thanks!
Christy
adrienne...your husband's cousin must be trying to go green also...grin...or red...or orange...depending on the flavor of kool-aid...grin...
Christy...spraying white vinegar close to the area that they are coming in will also keep them away and wipe down your countertops with white vinegar...once the vinegar dries you won't smell it, but ants still can and they don't like it...We have big ol' carpenter ants around here and every year I go around spraying vinegar on the outside of the house and all around the inside...wiping things down with it and it has seem to help...
I love these ideas. I try to live green - but don't do as well as a lot of other people in the Pacific Northwest.
Kim...I'm not as good as I should be...I have changed some things but others I just can't let go of the way I have done them for so many years...
Post a Comment