Monday, September 29, 2008

Start the Week with a Story Starter

This story starter comes to me by way of Catherine J Gardner ...Thank you Catherine...

Find a song that sums up what you think it means to be a writer and post the lyrics on your blog and why you've chosen it. It doesn't have to be your favourite song, it just has to express how you feel about writing and/or being a writer. It can be literal, metaphorical, about a particular form or aspect of writing - whatever you want. Then tag 5 others to do the same (reprint these instructions).

I'm tagging anyone (and you do not need to tag others), so do this only if you want...if you just want to post your song title here and why you think it fits you as a writer, please do so...

At first, I had a hard time coming up with a song and then Moon River came to mind and I think for me, this is what it means for me to be a writer...

Moon River

Moon River, wider than a mile,
I'm crossing you in style some day.
Oh, dream maker, you heart breaker,
wherever you're going I'm going your way.
Two drifters off to see the world.
There's such a lot of world to see.
We're after the same rainbow's end--
waiting 'round the bend,
my huckleberry friend,
Moon River and me.

To me, Moon River represents my writing, my stories from idea to print...when I start the story it feels wider than a mile and by the time I'm done I feel like I've crossed that river..

Dream maker, you heart breaker represents the publisher/editor who will one day make my dreams come true but until then...they keep breaking my heart...

"Wherever you are going, I'm going your way" is about my main characters...they lead me around by my nose sometimes, but I keep following...grin...

And the rest of the song...sums up characters, stories and our trip together across the Moon River...

Now it is your turn...what song do you hear when you write...Hugs...

8 comments:

Kelly Polark said...

I like this! I'm going to think this through first...

Marcia said...

What an interesting idea. I have no clue what my song should be, but I'll be on the lookout for one.

Cate Gardner said...

First off I love that song.

Second, what a fabulous choice. :)

Carrie Harris said...

Absolutely a fabulous choice! And from what I know about you, it fits SO well. :)

Bish Denham said...

Nice exercise. A song that comes immediately to mind is...

Paperback Writer by the Beatles.

C.R. Evers said...

ohhhhh! fun! I already know what song I'm going to use. But I'll have to do it another day. I don't have time today.

You always have the best stuff!

P.S. I have your book packaged up, I'll get it out tonight (if I'm not too late) or tomorrow. (if I don't lose my mind and forget!) :0P

Christy

Adrienne said...

What a great choice! I never did pay much attention to the lyrics to Moon River. Now you've really got me thinking.

Brenda said...

kelly...marcia...can't wait to hear what song you guys come up with...

catherine...I have always loved this song, I just wish I sounded as good singing it as she does...grin...

thanks for the help this week... ;)

carrie...are you saying that when you think of mooning, you think of me? grin...

bish...I don't think I know that song, I will look it up and listen to it...

christy...I can't wait to hear what your song will be...can't wait to get my book...my post office is like 1 mile from where I work and it takes me days to get there at times with work the way it goes, so I understand losing the mind...grin...


adrienne...I've always loved this song and knew the words, but it wasn't the first song I thought of...then it came to me and I knew it fit me to a tee...