Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Tuesday's Living Green Tips

Do you have a pet? Have you ever thought about how having your pet might affect the world? Here are a few things for you to think about:
  1. How often do you wash your pet? Did you know that over shampooing can dry your pet's skin causing them to itch. Less washing will help the pH stay in balance and think of the water you will save...Think of your pet as a young child...and how many young children do you know, who like to take a bath? Also, did you know that baby shampoo is gentle enough for your pets and it smells so much better then pet shampoos...How many wild animals do you know that take regular baths?
  2. How about those little insects that like to catch a ride on your pet...fleas and ticks...Did you know that some flea and tick medications can make your pet sick? And they can mess up their immune system...Brewer's Yeast (you can find this with other vitamins, etc. for your pet). is a safe method that can be quite useful...you can mix this in their food and they won't even know you are helping them out. Also, keeping your pet healthy will keep these little pests at bay. Some people say putting a little garlic in your pets food also will help keep flea & ticks away. But check with your vet before doing this. Garlic can be harmful to some animals.
  3. Keep an eye on your heating and cooling temperature. Extreme heat/air conditioning can have an affect on your pet's health and skin condition. It can cause itchy dry skin and/or breathing problems in your pet. Setting your heat 3' lower or your air 3' higher not only will help your pet be more comfortable, but it will also help your electric bill.
  4. Ready to clean your house? Have you ever thought about why your pet runs to another room when you spray your cleaners? It is because they are smart...they know these chemicals are bad for them, so they run for and hide. We should do the same thing...If you clean his bedding with chemicals you can be causing allergies for your pet. If your pet seems to be "scratching" his/her feet, could be a sign that something they have walked across is aggravating them. Baking soda, vinegar, & lemon juice can take care of many of your cleaning needs and they aren't harmful to the environment and/or your pet.

So when you are thinking green...don't forget about going green with your pet also. After all, they are part of the family...and if going green will help your family, then going green will help you pet...hugs...

6 comments:

Kelly Polark said...

Thanks for the pet tips! I like the natural cleaning solutions!
I spent the day at the animal hospital with my dog today (diagnosed with a tumor):0(

Carrie Harris said...

Um... I have a fish. That really made me laugh.

C.R. Evers said...

More great tips!

Excpet, I got excited, at first, thinking that I had a good excuse for not washing my dogs. :0)

Instead, I just learned that I need to use baby shampoo. ;0)

p.s. I posted my song choice on my blog! Complete with you tube and everything!

Linda D. (sbk) said...

Microfibre clothes with bacteria-fighting silver in them work great too. I haven't used anything but a cloth on my mirrors in years. I now use them on countertops and bathrooms, too.

Watch your toilet bowl cleaners. They are toxic to pets who like to drink from the toilet.

sruble said...

We never wash our cat. That would be unhealthy ... for us.

Brenda said...

kelly...I'm so sorry about your furbaby...I hope they are able to get rid of the tumor and make our pup all better...

carrie...don't forget to use the baby shampoo...I hear that makes fish smell really really good...grin...

christy...You can save water by giving your pups a bath with someone in the family...I'm sure you hubby wouldn't mind sharing the shower, to save the planet...grin...

I can't wait to hear your song...

linda...great to see you out and about again...grin...I've heard of the microfibre cloths...glad to know they do work...I clean my toilet with TANG...so pups can drink and get his Vit C at the same time...grin..

sruble...I can imagine that would be...grin...