Thursday, October 2, 2008

Hazel's Crockpot Thursdays

**Hazel would love to hear from you if/when you try the recipes to see what you think about them...coming out into the real world is making Hazel a little nervous...and she's afraid that we are so desperate to be eating anything that I didn't make that we have been telling her lies all these years...grin....


As promised, Hazel has decided to share her famous recipe for Crockpot Cobbler...This recipe is a favorite and much requested recipe. My Mother-in-Law still thinks this is a difficult recipe and I've bribed Hazel not to tell her any different. There's chocolate in it for you if you keep the secret also...grin...

When Hazel first told me about this recipe, I thought she was nuts and there was no way this was going to taste like an old-fashioned homemade cobbler...but my MIL (and extended family) still thinks it is...

Do you remember this commercial: Rice Krispies Squares ?

That is what I want you to do when you make the recipe below...make it look like it took so much time and energy...(I always loved that commercial...grin)

Are you ready? Come close and make sure no one is looking over your shoulder...


Crockpot Cobbler

1 can of buttermilk or plain pop biscuits (the cheaper ones do just as well) - pop biscuits are the ones you peel the wrapping and hit the container against the counter to open

1 can of peach or apple pie filling

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (when Hazel isn't looking I sprinkle on more cinnamon, so this amount is really up to you)

1/2 cup butter

Bake the biscuits per the instructions on the can. Let them cool. Tear the biscuits into chunks and put half of the biscuit chunks on the bottom of crockpot. Mix the brown sugar, cinnamon and butter in small bowl. Sprinkle 1/3 of this mixture over the biscuits. Spoon half the pie filling over the brown sugar mixture. Then repeat with the biscuits, 1/3 brown sugar mixture and then the pie filling...finish with the final 1/3 brown sugar mix. Cook for 2 hours on high...My FIL spoons his into a bowl and pours a little milk over it, but this is optional...

Hazel doubles this mixture when we are going for brunch at MIL's house for the holidays. She also makes the biscuits the night before and tears them into chunks. She keeps them in an air tight bowl and uses them in the morning...

Hubs and I like to have this as a dessert in the evening. Served with vanilla ice cream. Hazel serves dinner and then starts this dessert...by the time dinner has settled, this is ready...

Next week, Hazel is planning another great crockpot recipe using chicken......Hugs...


CROCKPOT TIP #1:

Coverting a regular (not crockpot) recipe into a crockpot recipe:

Time Guides:

If regular recipe says:
15 to 30 minutes cooking time (crockpot time low 4-6 hours or high 1 1/2 - 2 hours)
35-45 minutes cooking time (crockpot time low 6-10 hours or high 3-4 hours)
50 minutes - 3 hours (crockpot time low 8-18 hours or high 4-6 hours)

  • Reduce your liquid by almost half
  • Add dairy products in the last half hour of cooking.
  • Pasta and seafood need to be added in last hour (I usually go ahead and make my pasta per directions and then add to the crockpot just before serving)





9 comments:

Rena Jones said...

Oooh, I'll have to try this sometime. I have made cobblers in my crock-pot before and they come out yummy! Mine, however, always seem to take longer to cook than the recipes I have call for.

LMHO @ that commerical! I remember that one well.

Thanks Hazel!

Carrie Harris said...

Yep. The next time I go to the grocery store, I'm getting the makings for this!

Kelly Polark said...

True story: Yesterday my hubby and I were at Barnes and Noble and he showed me an Easy Crockpot Recipes cookbook and said, "This would be great for you!"
I answered, "I don't need that, I have Hazel's crockpot Thursdays!"
:0)
BTW, the cobbler sounds delish and the tips are helpful too. Thanks!

Adrienne said...

I'm glad I saw this - I've been promising all week to make lentil soup in the crockpot and I keep forgetting! The cobbler sounds great and I'm planning to try your beef recipe - I'll let you know how it comes out.

Brenda said...

rena...I remembered that commercial when I came home from work one day and found flour all over Hazel...grin..

carrie...hope you enjoy it!

kelly...LOL! If I tell Hazel that her lid will swell...grin...

adrienne...I love soup in the crockpot...Enjoy your lentil soup...and I hope you like the beef...

Bish Denham said...

Yum, yum...sound delish. Just last night I had a crock-dinner of beef and veggies.

sruble said...

Thanks Brenda! I'll let you know when I make some of the recipes! I haven't made any yet, because DH was gone most of the week, and we didn't go to the grocery store last week, and I am otherwise just not put together right now :0)

But soon, very soon.

BTW, do you know if you can make this with fresh apples? We will be going apple picking soon, and we always have tons of apples.

Brenda said...

bish...can't beat a meat and veggie dinner that cooks by itself...

sruble...I checked a few websites and if you peel, core and cut the apples into eighths, they will cook in about 2-4 hours...I found this recipe...sounds just as easy as Hazel's only it uses apples instead of pie filling...

Apple Brown Betty

3 lbs. cooking apples
10 slices of bread, cubed (about 4 cups)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. salt
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. butter or margarine, melted

Wash apples, peel, core, cut into eighths; place in bottom on crock. Mix bread cubes, spices, salt, sugar, butter; toss together. Place on top of apples and cover. Cook on low setting 2 to 4 hours. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

I've not tasted this recipe, so I'm not sure how it turns out, but if you decide to try this one, I would love to find out if it is any good...Thanks...

sruble said...

Thanks for finding that Brenda! I'll let you know how it turns out.