Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Tuesday's Living Green Tips

Green Living Cooking...There are some very easy things you can do to save energy when cooking...
  1. Put a lid on it: put the lids on your pots & pans as often as possible. Your food will cook quicker, plus with the lid on you will be able to turn down the temperature because the heat is captured...causing higher temps...
  2. Turn it off: Did you know you can turn off the stove "before" your food is done...depending on how well your oven is insulated and sealed, you can turn your oven off 10 - 15 minutes before your food is done...don't open the door...and wait for the actual time your food should be done before checking...the heat inside the oven will keep cooking the food...If you have an oven thermostat, turn your oven to 200'...put the thermostat inside the oven and turn the oven off...see how long it takes before the temperature changes...
  3. Make waves: Use our microwave that is...boiling water in the microwave not only saves time, but it saves energy...actually using your as much as possible can save a lot of electricity...
  4. A Raw Moment: Vegetables lose a lot of nutrients when you cook them, so why not eat them raw. A nice arrangement of colorful vegetables (not necessarily as a salad, but more like a side dish) are tasty and healthy...If you have to have your vegetables cooked, try steaming them with a food steamer...Like a crockpot, it takes less energy then heating on the stove...If you do choose to cook your vegetables in water, save the water and use it to water your plants (once it has cooled down)...they will thank you...
  5. Preparing possibilities: Don't waste electric/gas by turning on the stove/oven, before you have your food prepared that you are about to cook...have as much done as possible...Most recipes that need to be preheated can be put in the oven during the preheating time...when heating oil for frying (broiling is better for you), you should be watching the pan, not chopping the food...
  6. No crock about it: Did you know the crockpot in the back of your cabinet can save you lots of energy, not to mention time...Using a slow cooker these days is so easy. Toss in your ingredients, plug it up and turn it on and go to work...You can make your main meal, your side dishes, and your desserts! I have seven crockpots and many a night I have a buffet style dinner...the crocks lined up on the counter and we line up, get what we want, and eat...they keep the food warm (you can turn the crock off & it will still keep your food warm for up to an hour or more)...My large crockpot is named Hazel...I feel like she is my personal chef and I love everything she makes...
  7. Size does matter: The pot needs to fit the heating element. If the pot is too small, you are wasting heat...If the pot is too large, it will take longer to heat....which means?...You are wasting heat...

Cooking doesn't have to be hard...it can even be a little fun (Did I say that?)...Hugs...

10 comments:

Marcia said...

Great tips. I love my crockpot. You have seven, and the largest is named Hazel? LOL.

Carrie Harris said...

Oh no. I've been neglecting my crock pot. I use it all the time and have never named it. I'll have to remedy that problem immediately!!!

Adrienne said...

Seven crock pots! I love the buffet idea.
BTW, I forgot to tell you I finally posted the meme yesterday - I'm a slowpoke. Thanks for the tag!

Rena Jones said...

Hazel? OMGosh -- that's funny! I used to have 3 crock-pots, but am down to one huge one and one super small one. I really need something in between. I use mine a lot, as you know already -- ;)

Great tips, Brenda! You know, I didn't know boiling water in the microwave is cheaper. Is it really?

Kelly Polark said...

Seven crockpots???!!!

Awesome tips!

Brenda said...

marcia...Hazel has been with me for a long time...I wouldn't know what to do without her...grin...and she's great at keeping the other 6 crocks in line...grin...

carrie...I love the t.v. show Hazel, and always wanted a Hazel of my own...now I have one...grin...

adrienne...the buffet is great for March Madness and the Super Bowl times of the year...grin...I can enjoy the games and don't have to spend the whole time in the kitchen...

rena...the burners take awhile to heat up on the stove, which takes electricity and think about how long it takes to boil the water (depending on how much you have)...If you are making a cup of tea, heating the water in the cup takes a lot less time and energy then if you would heat water on the stove...and by using the stove, you are using more water...I hardly ever use the stove for heating water anymore...

Brenda said...

kelly...I wouldn't know what to do without all of them...my family might never eat if I didn't have them...grin..

sruble said...

Great tip, thanks! So, are you going to do a crock pot recipe/how to cook in a crock pot post?

We've used ours, but don't have many recipes and the results were only so-so. But I'd like to use it more if I knew there would be good food to eat.

I can't believe you have 7 crock pots!

Brenda said...

sruble...I'll see if Hazel will share some of her recipes...grin...

sruble said...

Tell Hazel I'll be her best friend if she shares some of her food secrets. ;)