Thursday, October 23, 2008

Hazel's Crockpot Thursdays

With crisp weather coming, Hazel thought she would share a wonderful chili recipe...

Turkey and White Bean Chili

1 TBL olive oil
1 LB ground turkey
1 medium onion, chopped
4 tsp chili powder
1 TBL ground cumin
1 (28 oz) can chopped tomatoes
1 (15 to 19 oz) can white Kidney Beans (Cannellini) rinsed & drained
1/2 cup water

Heat oil, add turkey and 1/2 tsp salt and brown. Put all ingredients in crockpot, including cooked turkey...cook on low 6-8 hours...


Hot Mint Malt

4 large chocolate covered cream filled mint patties (peppermint patties)
5 cups milk
1/2 cup malted milk powder (Ovaltine)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Whipped cream, optional
Peppermint sticks/candy cane, optional

Combine all but optional items in crockpot. Cover and heat on low for 2 hours. Beat with mixer until frothy...pour into mugs, garnish with whipped cream/peppermint sticks/candy canes

Enjoys

8 comments:

Kimbra Kasch said...

Love the Hot Mint Malt idea. This should be fun to try.

Bish Denham said...

I'm with Kim on this one. The Hot Mint Malt sounds umm umm good!

Carrie Harris said...

I'm all about white chilis. For some reason, I really hate regular chili, but white chili is a different story altogether!

Rena Jones said...

Oh, I might have to try this chili recipe! I love crocking chili, but Rick doesn't care for beans too much. He picks them out. This recipe only has one can of beans, whereas the ones I usually make have 2-3 cans. I'll have to give this a try!

Thanks Brenda!

Adrienne said...

I haven't made chili in a while - this recipe sounds great.
The mint malt sounds like a great holiday treat! I love peppermint patties.

Brenda said...

The mint malt is delish! I personally use more peppermint patties then the recipe calls for because I like the peppermint/chocolate flavor so much...

The chili recipe is good...hubs still doesn't know it is turkey meat and not beef...I had never had the white kidney beans before trying this recipe, but I like them and they really work in this recipe...

Happy Crocking!

Kelly Polark said...

OMG- the Hot Mint Malt sounds sooooooooooo yummy...
Hazel, you are my favorite crockpot EVER!

sruble said...

I want to try the mint malt, but the idea also kind of freaks me out. Not sure why. Will have to make it w/o telling DH how it's done. It will freak him out too, for no apparent reason.

Maybe it's because I think of peppermint patties as being cold. Hmmm, another oddity to ponder.