Friday, October 24, 2008

Fixing it Fridays

Sore Throats are such a pain. They hurt, and you can't talk...and if you are like me not being able to talk is worse then the pain...grin...

So here are a few things to help with...Sore Throats...
  1. Aunt Jemima Original Syrup - Take 2 tsp of syrup to coat and soothe the irritated throat
  2. BenGay - relieve the discomfort of a sore throat by applying BenGay on your neck as a liniment
  3. Coca-Cola - Gargle with Coke. The carbonation in the cola helps loosen the phlegm.
  4. Whisky and Honey - mix 4 TBL whisky with 4 TBL honey. Warm the mixture i na microwave oven. Gargle with the solutioin and then swallow it. (obvoiusly, do not give to a child)
  5. Mustard, salt, honey and ReaLemon - mix 2 TBL mustard, 1 TBL salt, 1 TBL honey and 2 tsp lemon juice and 1.5 cups boiling water. Cover and let the mixture cool for fifteen minutes, then gargle with it.
  6. Gatorade - Drinking as much Gatorade as possible rehydrates the body so your body can moisturize your throat naturally.
  7. Horseradish, honey and Ground cloves - mix 1 TBL horseradish, 1 tsp honey and 1 tsp ground cloves in a glass of warm water, and stir. Sip slowly, continually stirring to prevent horseradish from settling. (not for children)
  8. Apple Cider Vinegar - mix 1 tsp vinegar in 1 cup warm water. Whenever you feel a sore throat coming on, gargle with the mixture and then swish and swallow.
  9. Hydrogen Peroxide - To kill the bacteria causing a sore throat, gargle with hydrogen peroxide, then spit out.
  10. And my all time favorite - Hershey's Syrup - Take 2 tsps of Hershey's Syrup to coat and soothe a sore throat

Strange Facts:

  • The hyoid bone in your throat is the only bone in the body not attached to another bone
  • Eleanor Roosevelt once said, "A woman is like a tea bag. You don't know how strong it is until it gets into hot water."
  • Giraffes have no vocal cords

Hugs...

10 comments:

Kimbra Kasch said...

Okay the Hershey's syrup, coke and syrup may not sooth my throat but they sure will put me in a better - or in other words - less whiny mood.

My Mom used to take two to three tablespoons of Brandy and a tablespoon of honey - mix them together and we had cheap, homemade, cough syrup. Oh maybe it wasn't sooo cheap - I mean Brandy is probably expensive but Mom always had some on hand - so no need to run to the store. :)

Carrie Harris said...

Are you psychic? I have a sore throat today. Had it for a couple of days and hate to take medicine if I don't have to.

Hmmm... which one to try first. Sadly enough, I don't have Hershey's.

Kelly Polark said...

Brenda, love your tips...I just printed this out.
My oldest son has had a sore throat for a few days, I'll try some of these for him. He'll love the Coke one as I never let him drink it!
My husband will like the whisky one whether he has a sore throat or not!

Rena Jones said...

Cool tips! I've never heard of most of these. However, I do like the idea of the Hershey's syrup. I usually use Chloraseptic, but my husband hates how that tastes.

I love the Eleanor Roosevelt quote too!

Adrienne said...

I gargle with salt water at the first sign - sometimes it works, but if not I'm definely trying #4 next time!

Brenda said...

I knew you guys would like either the chocolate or whisky...grin...

Gargling a few times a day with mouthwash will also help...mouthwash is made to kill bacteria and that is mainly what a sore throat is...but it is not as tasty as the chocolate/whisky...grin...

Hope they help...

sruble said...

Thanks for the tips. I hope I don't have to think about this for a long long time.

Butter Rum Life Savers instead of cough drops is my big sore throat tip.

Bish Denham said...

I do like Adrienne. I gargle with warm salt water at the first sign of a sore throat. I believe in using sea salt because it has a ton of minerals and other goodies in it.

I've used Hydrogen Peroxide too on stubborn sore throats.

C.R. Evers said...

wow! I had no idea of some of these remedies. However, the hersey one is the only one that sounds appealing. ;0) It kind of makes me want a sore throat so I can try it.

Christy

Brenda said...

yummm...Butter rum...I'm going to try those the next time...

bish...I have had a bad enough sore throat to try the peroxide before...I have to say, it helped, but yuck...grin...

christy...there is always preventative maintenance...I think drinking 2 cups...I mean 2 tsps of chocolate syrup a day can't hurt, right? grin...