Monday, October 27, 2008

Start the Week with a Story Starter

Have you ever thought, "I can write that better."? Well, now is your chance.

Open up one of your favorite books...randomly point to a paragraph on a page and rewrite it...it has to still fit into the story...your job is only to make it better...If you want to take the whole page/scene and rewrite it...go on and do it!

Now...Why did you change what you did, the way you did? Why do you think that change made the paragraph/scene better? Did you use more descriptions, metaphors, etc. Did you make the scene funny to break the tension in that part of the story?

Now take a scene (that is giving you trouble) in one of your stories and do the same thing...see if you can "write that better"!

Hugs...

9 comments:

Rena Jones said...

Oh, this sounds like a fun project. The boys have this Christmas Little Golden book that's just downright awful. I should try to mess around with that and see what I can do to it. I probably couldn't mess it up anymore than it already is.

Cate Gardner said...

Ooh, what a fabulous idea.

Carrie Harris said...

Gosh, I wouldn't even know what book to start with. How pitiful is that?

C.R. Evers said...

you always have the best story starter ideas! How do you get them all?! THis one sounds fun too.

christy

Keri Mikulski said...

Great idea! ;)

Kelly Polark said...

That's a cool idea, Brenda!

Nora MacFarlane said...

Oh, I like this one!

Adrienne said...

I've come across things that almost beg to be rewritten, but I never thought of doing it as a challenge. Fun idea.

Brenda said...

rena...sounds like the perfect book to try this on...good luck with it...

catherine... :)

carrie...what about going to the library and pick out one of those really old books and update it...?

christy...If I tell you that, then you won't need to come here for the ideas...grin...

keri & nora...Thanks for stopping by...I hope the story starters help if you ever need them...

kelly & adrienne...thank you...I hope it helps...