Friday, November 7, 2008

Fixing it Fridays

With the weather changing we don't put our windows up as much and this can make the house a little stuffy, so here are a few Air Freshener ideas to help get you through the winter:
  1. Baking Soda - Add 2 tsp baking soda to 2 cups water in a 16-oz trigger-spray bottle. Shake well, and spray in the air.
  2. Liquid Fabric Softener - add 1 TBL fabric softener to to a 16-oz trigger-spray bottle filled with water, shake well and spray in as an air freshener...
  3. White Vinegar - Remove odors from cooking, paint fumes, or cigarette smoke from a room by placing a small bowl of white vinegar in the room. Vinegar can also be used as a natural air freshener when sprayed full strength in a room...(be careful, most dogs cannot stand the smell of vinegar, so you may want to keep them from the room for a few minutes after spraying)

Strange fact:

  • Before buying an air freshener in a grocery store, most shoppers pick a can off the shelf, remove the cap, and spray in the air or on their fingers, and then breathe deep to test whether they like the fragrance. Air fresheners contain chemicals that no one in their right mind should be inhaling...

11 comments:

C.R. Evers said...

Thanks for the tips!

Christy

Carrie Harris said...

I think I must be strange. I actually like the scent of vinegar. Then again, I'm not a dog either. ;)

Bish Denham said...

It's not just those spray air fresheners that are bad for the health, it's those ones you plug in and even scented candles!

Another way to flavor the air is (if you have a woodstove or gas stove it works best) is to put a pan of water on and fill it with your favorite spices like cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg etc. or orange peels. You can add a splash of vanilla or a favorite essential oil like lavender. You can make up any combo you want. You put the pan on low, low and let it simmer. It not only smells good it puts a bit of moisture into the air.

Marcia said...

I love household tips! And that recipe below looks pretty good too. I second the idea of the simmering pan of cinnamon. Someone told me years ago that it's a good trick to use when trying to sell a house.

Adrienne said...

Baking soda and vinegar are so useful - I didn't know you could use them that way. I hate the smell of those canned air fresheners.

This is a good time to make those orange and clove ornaments - they make the room smell great!

Kelly Polark said...

I also read what Bish said about the plug ins. I used to use them all the time, but stopped (except for I have to admit if I have company....) I like the less chemical filled alternatives!

Nora MacFarlane said...

We have all kinds of allergies in my household. Nothing with any kind of scent goes in my laundry. I use white vinegar as a replacement in the washer for fabric softener. Works great.

You can put vanilla oil on a lightbulb to freshen a room. It's very a very light scent - not overpowering at all.

Kimbra Kasch said...

Oh Brenda, I love these ideas. They are so Earth-Friendly and healthy too! I hate using spray cans - ozone layers and all that.

Great tips - thanks!!!

Plus, my Mom used to use vinegar as a hair rinse. She said it would strip all the grease out of teen hair ;-)

Rena Jones said...

LOL Carrie! When I was little I used to love going to the gas station with my mom because I thought gasoline smelled good. The smell still doesn't bother me, unlike some other things.

Great tips, Brenda. Every now and then I use that stuff you sprinkle on your carpets right before you vacuum. That really changes the smell of things around here.

Brenda said...

christy...you're welcome

carrie...I actually like the smell also...or maybe I've just gotten use to it because I use it for everything...grin...

bish...we've heard of fires starting with the plug-in air fresheners...people forget to change the packets and they melt and catch on fire...that's why we quit using them...

Years ago before HGTV, there was a daytime "home" show...and they had two women who gave you tips on making dinner, etc. and one of their tips was to put apple juice with some cinnamon, etc in a small pan and let it simmer all day...while this is simmering, go buy the frozen apple pies...and give as gifts...everyone in your family will think you worked very hard on their "homemade" pies...I always loved that idea...grin....

marcia...we're told to do that when we show a model apartment...it's suppose to help the applicant feel at home...

adrienne...I use baking soda and vinegar for everything! They really are quite helpful...

kelly...vanilla extract on cotton balls and placed in areas where people won't see them easily...also helps...just don't forget where you put them so your pets don't eat them...

nora...I've done this with other things...cinnamon, lilac, etc....and you're right, they give off a light scent instead of being overpowering...

kim...I've heard of using vinegar in the hair...never tried it though...

rena...OMG! I thought I was the only one who liked the smell of gasoline! My mom use to think I was going to go crazy if I smelled it...she may have been right...grin...

sruble said...

Thanks so much for this! Chemical air fresheners are super evil, so it's nice to have a natural option.

I wish more people would use natural instead of chemical.