- Miracle on 34th Street - I love this movie. The old 1947 black and white version can't be beat. Maureen O'Hara, Natalie Wood, Edmund Gwenn are a great combination. Thy play off of each other so well and have you ever seen a better Santa!
- The Bishop's Wife - Cary Grant, Loretta Young, David Niven - I love Cary Grant, so any movie he is in is a favorite, but this movie is one of my all time favorites of his. He is an Angel and he comes into the life of the Bishop (Niven) and his wife (Young) and he shows them what is really important...
- It's A Wonderful Life - Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed..."Every time a bell rings an Angel gets his wings"...I love that and as a child I kept a little bell under my pillow and when I was feeling down, I would ring my bell so an angel could get their wings...that always made me feel better...
- Holiday Inn - Astaire and Crosby play partner/rival song-and-dance men who compete for the hand of their performing partner, played by Virginia Dale. After Crosby loses, he moves to the Connecticut countryside where he creates a resort that is only open on holidays and puts on the shows with the help of Marjorie Reynolds. Dumped by Dale, Astaire makes a drunken arrival at the inn on New Year's Eve and dances with Reynolds. He decides she'll be his new partner, but doesn't remember what she looks like, setting off a frenzied search at every subsequent show while the once-bitten Crosby does his best to steer him off track. The theme gives Irving Berlin an excuse to craft or recycle a number of holiday-themed songs, such as (in the former category) "Washington's Birthday" or (in the latter) "Easter Parade." The most famous of the new material, of course, is "White Christmas," which became one of the bestselling songs of all time and the title song of Crosby's 1954 film.
- White Christmas - Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney (George Clooney's aunt)...the music, the snow...love it! Crosby and Kaye are song-and-dance men who hook up, romantically and professionally, with a "sister" act (Clooney and Vera-Ellen) to put on a Big Show to benefit the struggling ski-resort lodge run by the beloved old retired general (Dean Jagger) of their WWII Army outfit.
- The Charlie Brown Christmas - I love how Charlie Brown keeps on going no matter what obstacle is put in his way. My favorite part of this movie is when he puts the bulb on the little Christmas tree he has and it tips over...Why do I love this part? Because he believes that bulb will make that tree special and he never considers that it might be too much for the tree...I think we forget that we will never be given more then we can handle. We may feel like this little tree at times and like there is way too heavy a bulb on us, but with a little belief...in whatever you believe...we can blossom into all that we can be...
- The Christmas Classics - Rudolph, Frosty, Santa and more...I love the songs and the fun memories these movies bring out...I use to love watching these movies with my son (until he got too old)...so when I watch them now, I remember him...he always added more to his wish list during these movies...I don't know what it was about these movies that made him think of more things, but he always did...
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the cartoon) - I've seen the Jim Carrey version of this movie and although it was good, it can't compare to the cartoon (maybe I'm just old and I like originals...grin)...
- Single Santa Seeks Mrs Claus - Steve Guttenberg and Crystal Bernard - Nick (Guttenberg) is due to replace his retiring father, and needs a Mrs. Claus, so Santa’s adviser sends him down to Southern California. There he meets Beth Sawtelle (Bernard), a workaholic widow whose advertising job with Andrew West (Calabro) leaves precious little time for her son, Jake (Dominic Scott Kay). Concealing his identity, Nick stars in a series of Christmas commercials for the agency as he tries to make sure Jake and Beth both believe in Santa Claus—no easy task in her case! And they even made a 2nd movie called "Meet the Santas"
- A Boyfriend for Christmas - A Boyfriend for Christmas Kelli Williams (The Practice) is Holly Grant, an idealistic lawyer who gave up on finding Mr. Right in her stocking when she split with her last boyfriend. OSCAR nominee Charles Durning (To Be or Not to Be) plays Santa, who fulfills an old promise by bringing her and another attorney, Ryan Hughes (Patrick Muldoon), together. Due to an earlier misunderstanding, Ryan doesn’t want Holly to know who he is, so when Santa sends him to deliver a Christmas tree, he introduces himself as "Douglas Firewood." His well-meaning white lie threatens to derail a budding romance, and spoil Santa’s plan, in this warm-hearted holiday treat.
- All I Want for Christmas - Tis the season for making dreams true. If everything goes according to plan for one young boy, he just may be sharing this Christmas with a new dad. Ever since her husband died, Sarah Armstrong has divided her time between working at a community center and caring for her nine-year-old son, Jesse. When Jesse wins the All I Want for Christmas contest sponsored by a toy company, his wish comes as no surprise to find a new dad. Just in time for the holidays, All I Want for Christmas is a surprise romantic treat for anyone who believes in the magic of love, friendship, and family.
Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and the holiday music and movies will be coming on strong. I look forward to watching the old and the new...and singing (when no one is around)...
So what holiday movies do you enjoy and watch every year? And why...what makes them fun, special, etc.
Happy Thanksgiving!
7 comments:
The Grinch is my all time favorite. My stocking even plays the Grinch theme song when you push the little button.
My hubby would probably demand to know why you left a Christmas Story off of there. ;)
I love holiday movies, including a lot of the ones you mentioned. Other "must-sees" for us are Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story and pretty much all of the animated ones ever made. I'm a sap when it comes to cartoons. It's not a stretch to find me watching Santa and the Three Bears while my kids are playing happily in another room. We keep most of our Christmas movies packed up, so when we start decorating, we get them out and watch them over the season.
Fun list! We are putting up our tree this weekend. My favorite Christmas movie is Christmas Vacation. Chevy Chase makes me giggle!
I'll have to check a few of these out. Thanks Brenda - My all time favorite movie is It's a Wonderful Life - you can see that in my profile.
I watch it every year - my kids got me the dvd a couple years ago. It just proves that one life can make a huge impact on the world - love that.
Happy Holiday Weekend.
I also love the cartoon Grinch, and Elf is hilarious - I'm looking forward to watching that one again.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
carrie...I hope you can still be my friend...but I do NOT like that movie...Alfie reminds me of a very annoying cousin I have, so maybe that has something to do with it. I just remember thinking that I would rather have my teeth pulled...sorry...
rena...I forgot about Christmas Vacation...thanks for reminding me...
kelly....I remember having a big crush on Chevy Chase growing up...he is sooo funny...
kim...A few years ago, Son gave me It's A Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street and A Christmas Carol...it was the best gift...I watched them right up to Valentine's Day...grin...
adrienne...I forgot about Elf also...that is a fun movie...
Happy Holidays!
Ooh, another fan of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation here - I also love 'Scrooge'.
Post a Comment