Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Tuesday's Living Green Tips

Have you ever looked at the bottom of a plastic container (laundry detergent, milk, mustard, etc)...most have this little triangle with a number inside it...Do you know what that number means?


Each number is given to a different type of plastic...the numbers go from 1-7 with one being the easiest and most commonly used type of plastic...


Hubs and I have really started looking at these numbers because we want to make sure we are recycling correctly, so this weeks Living Green Tip is about the different numbers and what type of plastic goes with said number and some other interesting info...


  1. PETE or PET (polyethylene terephthalate): used for most clear bottles. Examples include soda and water bottles, vinegar and medicine containers, and many other common consumer product containers (some shampoo bottles). Once it has been processed by a recycling facility, (number 1) can become fiberfill for winter coats, sleeping bags and life jackets. It can also be used to make bean bags, rope, car bumpers, tennis ball felt, combs, cassette tapes, sails for boats, furniture and, of course, other plastic bottles.
  2. HDPE (high density polyethylene): used for “cloudy” milk and water jugs, opaque food bottles. These are heavier containers such as laundry detergents and bleaches as well as shampoo and motor oil. Plastic labeled with the number 2 is often recycled into toys, piping, plastic lumber and rope. Like plastic designated number 1, it is widely accepted at recycling centers.
  3. PVC or V Poly(vinyl chloride): used for pipes, rain coats, shower curtains, meat wraps, cooking oil bottles, baby bottle nipples, shrink wrap, clear medical tubing, vinyl dashboards and seat covers, coffee containers, vinyl siding on your house, and linoleum. PVC is useful because it resists two things that hate each other: fire and water. When you try to burn PVC, chlorine atoms are released, and chlorine atoms inhibit combustion. This stuff is difficult to recycle and PVC is a major environmental and health threat.
  4. LDPE (low density polyethylene): used in wrapping films, grocery bags and sandwich bags.
  5. PP (polypropylene): used in rigid containers, including some baby bottles and some dishwasher safe cups and bowls, Tupperware®, syrup bottles, yogurt tubs, diapers, outdoor carpet.
  6. PS (polystyrene): (Styrofoam) used in foam containers with those “claim-shell” tops, meat and turkey trays, and in its rigid form, clear take-out containers, some plastic cutlery and cups (clear & colored). items such as coffee cups, disposable cutlery, meat trays, packing “peanuts” and insulation. Polystyrene may leach styrene into food it comes into contact with. Styrene is also considered a possible human carcinogen by the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research and Cancer.
  7. OTHER(usually polycarbonate): The hotdog of plastics! Used in 5-gallon water bottles, some baby bottles, some metal can linings. Products labeled as "other" are made of any combination of 1-6 or another, less commonly used plastic...This is the Hardest Plastics to Recycle. These plastics are the most difficult to recycle and, as such, are seldom collected or recycled. More ambitious consumers can feel free to return such items to the product manufacturers to avoid contributing to the local waste stream, and instead put the burden on the makers to recycle or dispose of the items properly. Polycarbonate can release its primary building block, bisphenol A—a suspected hormone disrupter—into liquids and foods.

Not all plastic products are labeled with a number. If you’re unsure don’t hesitate to call the manufacturer directly. Also look on food product packaging for toll-free telephone numbers where consumers can ask questions.

You do not need to clean plastic completely before taking it to the recycling center...a quick rinse to get most of the liquid out will work just fine...

9 comments:

Bish Denham said...

Great info Brenda. We are very lucky where I live to have a wonderul recycling plant. We've been doing it so long it's become second nature to separate. We produce one bag of garbage that we can't recycle about every 2 weeks.

RECYCLE! It makes a BIG difference.

Rena Jones said...

Interesting! I'm sitting here with a Diet Mt. Dew bottle that's labeled Pete with the number 1. Maybe it will be a sleeping bag someday! ;) I never knew this. Thanks Brenda!

Kelly Polark said...

I never knew what the numbers meant! Luckily we can set out our recyclables once a week to be picked up, that is so convenient!

Brenda said...

bish...I wish my town did more to recycle...maybe if more townspeople call about it they will change their attitudes...grin...

rena...it is kinda neat to know what some of those things can be turned into...grin...

kelly...lucky you...I work in town and can't get the town to pick up the recycables at the complex...if I want to do any kind of recycling program, I have to do it myself and take it to the dump...sigh...I just don't have that kind of time...

Nora MacFarlane said...

The village where I live has a recycling program. You can rent a container for $24 per year. I put it out on the curb each week and they take care of the rest!

sruble said...

Interesting, thanks for the info!

Kimbra Kasch said...

It's true, You learn something new every day - at least if you visit Brenda's blog ;D

Adrienne said...

Thanks for that info! We are lucky enough to have curbside recycling, but it still gets confusing which things can go in the bin.
One thing I'm pretty obsessive about recycling is aluminum - because that is so costly and wasteful to produce.

Brenda said...

nora...$24 a year doesn't seem like a lot at all...My town is always trying to get money out of us, I'm surprised they haven't thought of this...grin...

kim...you make me blush...grin...

adrienne...I just recently found some info on aluminum...not sure if I have it on one of these auto posts for November or not, but if not, I will post something in December...