This time of year comes the colds, the coughs and the Runny Nose...
Chicken Noodle Soup...Sipping a bowl of hot chicken noodle soup actually helps decongest nasal passages while simultaneously re-hydrating and re-energizing the body with essential salts
Gatorade...Drinking a quart of liquid, such as Gatorade, daily replaces vital bodily fluids and keeps the mucous lining moist so the cilia at the back of the nose and throat can clear your nasal passages. Gatorade re-hydrates the body and replaces electrolytes.
Horseradish...Gold's Horseradish is a natural remedy for a congested nose. Eat some horseradish on saltine crackers.
Tea, Lemon and Honey...Drinking hot tea with lemon and honey replaces vital bodily fluids, flushes impurities from your system, and helps decongest your sinuses. (honey should not be given to children under one year of age.)
Garlic Powder...Spice your foods with Garlic Powder. Garlic contains a chemical that makes mucus less sticky, clearing the sinuses
Salt...Clear congested sinuses by mixing 1/2 tsp salt in one cup warm water. Fill an aspirator or an eyedropper with the saline solution, insert it in your nostril, hold your head back so you're facing the ceiling, and inhale the liquid. Blow your nose thoroughly. Repeat several times
Tabasco sauce and tomato juice...mix 10 to 20 drops of Tabasco in a glass of tomato juice. Drink several of these decongestant tonics daily to help relieve congestion in the nose, sinuses, and lungs. Or gargle with 10 - 20 drops Tabasco mixed in a glass of water to clear out the respiratory tract. The capsaicin spurs the nerve fibers, working like a natural decongestant.
Petroleum Jelly & Q-tips...when your nose gets sore from too much blowing, apply a thin coat of Vaseline around your nostrils, using a Q-tip
Strange facts -
The mucous membrane responsible for your sense of smell is the size of a dime.
When people say they "smell rain" they actually smell the chemicals on the inside of plant cells. The low-pressure system that precedes a rainstorm causes plants to open, enabling us to better smell them...
9 comments:
Taking zinc and calcium has worked for me to help prevent getting colds and/or the flu. Those two together seem to help boost the immune system.
I didn't know that about the rain - interesting fact! Great remedies, too. Spicy tomato juice sounds great, but if course it makes me want a Bloody Mary...
Great tips, Brenda. I suffer from sinus headaches a lot, so I love hearing new things to try to relieve congestion. I've recently started using Noxema every now and then and the menthol in that seems to help my sinuses at night too.
Great tips for the upcoming cold season! Tha...achoo..anks!
"When people say they "smell rain" they actually smell the chemicals on the inside of plant cells. The low-pressure system that precedes a rainstorm causes plants to open, enabling us to better smell them..."
I didn't know that, thanks for sharing! So what is the worm smell after it rains? It might not be worms, but since that's when I see the worms, I've always thought of it as the worm smell.
bish...I've heard about taking zinc, but have never tried it...Thanks for reminding me of that...
adrienne...grin...
rena...never thought about the menthol in Noxema....I guess that is close to what Vicks uses...I will have to remember that one in a pinch...Thanks...
kelly...You're Wel...sniff...come...rin...
sruble...wet worms have a smell all their own just like a wet dog...grin...I'm just guessing on that one...grin...
WORMS???
***faint***
I'll never go out in the rain again.
Great ideas. When a cold hits me, it smacks me hard! So I really try to fight those little bugs before they get me. I drink zip fizz - it's a vitamin drink - that comes in a powder form - that I get at Costco. So far, so good - knock on wood.
Very interesting! I can smell rain too. Now I know I can thank the dime-sized membrane in my nose for that.
Post a Comment