Monday, December 8, 2008

Start the Week with a Story Starter

Hi All...Sorry this is late...Hubs has the flu so I've not gotten much done for the last 3 days and the way it looks I won't get much done in the next couple of days either...sigh...

Anyway...for the story starter this week...hmmmm what about something like this:

Take your favorite song and write a story about it...

Example:

In the song "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer"...we all know that Grandma got run over walking home to get her medicine and she was drunk on eggnog at that time...but tell us the story up to that point...why did she forget her meds? Was she having a fight with Grandpa? Was she wrapping last minute gifts and forgot about her meds? Was she all ready drinking on some eggnog before she left the her house, so meds weren't even on her mind? Did she change pocket books just before walking out the door?

So take a favorite (or even not so favorite) song and tell us a story...

"Wonderful Tonight" by Eric Clapton - Were they going to a company party or a friend's party? What color dress did she put on? Why wouldn't she know how much he loves her? Is she afraid to get close to people? Or has he always said he wasn't the type to fall in love and now he was, but she didn't know it?

"Unwell" by Matchbox 20 - What's made him crazy? Did he lose the love of his life? Is he locked up in prison and he's going crazy because he's not guilty (or because he is)?

Every song has a story...why it was written, why it means so much to the artist, band, etc...so what do you think the song's story is?

5 comments:

Adrienne said...

Hope your husband feels better soon - and take care of yourself!

I like this idea - I'm always wondering about the meanings behind the lyrics...although I was surprised that they actually made a Christmas special from Grandma Got Run Over... ;-0

Kimbra Kasch said...

Oh that cold and flu season ... yuck! Hope you don't get it too.

And, this looks like a fun idea - and reindeer to keep with the holiday theme. Yipee.

Kelly Polark said...

I agree with Adrienne about the Christmas special, I was like, What?!"
Great tip, I do this with poetry a lot. I usually write poetry for children, but when I attempted to write for adults I realized my life was (thankfully) not full of too much angst in it, so I looked to songs for inspiration and topics.

Rena Jones said...

Oh, I love, love, love Matchbox 20! "Unwell" is such a great song. Great writing ideas, Brenda. I hope your husband is feeling better now.

Brenda said...

Thanks everyone...Hubs is feeling better today and went back to work...and I'm drinking orange juice and taking meds hoping to NOT get it...

rena...Unwell is like one of my favorite songs! I love it! That song was probably what made me listen to more Matchbox 20 songs and I love them also...