Friday, December 5, 2008

Fixing it Fridays

This Fixing it Fridays might be a tad bit personal (although my first Fixing it Friday was about Flatulence, so I'm not sure I could top that on the personal scale) but here goes...

Menstruation...more along the lines of Cramps!

I suffer from very bad cramps one day each month, so I can tell you for sure which ones of these help the most...

My #1 choice is Ginger Ale...I start drinking Ginger Ale at the first sign of my period and I drink it until it is over with...My cramps are nothing once I started drinking Ginger Ale...I have to say this was one that surprised me. Something so simple...and it even tastes good...

My #2 choice would be Mint Tea...this is what I use to drink at the first sign of cramps...it would help, but it took a little while...and I could only drink so much mint tea (and I am a big tea drinker)...

#3 would be Mints...Altoids, candy canes, etc...but it seems to take a lot of these...I was pretty well popping them one after the other...good news...you never have bad breath...grin...

The rest of these are ones that I have not tried, but thought I would post them if anyone would liek to try them...

Baking Soda and Epsom Salt - Add one cup baking soda and one cup Epsom Salt into running bath water. Soak your body to relax the muscles and relieve cramps...

Nonfat Dry Milk - Calcium lessens the severity of cramps. Add one teaspoon NonFat Dry Milk to the dishes you cook, such as casseroles, soups, etc. Each teaspoon contains roughly sixty-two milligrams of calcium...

Gatorade - The thirst quencher increases the potassium in your body...

Tums - Again, Calcium lessens the severity of cramps. Take 3 regular Tums or two extra-strength Tums daily. Tums are also available in peppermint, which soothes cramping as well...

Peppermint Patties - The peppermint relieves cramping and the chocolate soothes cravings...the best of both worlds...

I hope this helps...

7 comments:

Kimbra Kasch said...

What about chocolate... oh wait that doesn't help cramps - but it does help my mood and believe me that's a good thing, especially that one day per month.

Bish Denham said...

Luckily I no longer have to deal with this particular...
errrr...
issue.

Rena Jones said...

The supplement Dong Quai is great for this too.

Great tips, Brenda! I didn't know that about Gatorade. I wonder if the low-cal stuff called G2 would do the same thing?

Adrienne said...

Milk does seem to work, I used to use that remedy. Now I'd go for the peppermint patties!

Kelly Polark said...

Great tips, Brenda! I am so going to try the peppermint patty and ginger ale in the near future!

Carrie Harris said...

I can't stand ginger ale, but I'll have to try the rest. I'm partial to a little yoga myself. Nothing too major, but a little stretching helps for me.

Brenda said...

Thanks all...Hope these items help you out when or if you need them...