Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Tuesday's green living tips

Moving a 15 year old pine tree that has fallen on your house, takes a lot of work...not to mention back power...so today's natural cure is going to be for backaches...



  1. Making a paste from meat tenderizer and water can be rubbed into your back as you would an over-the-counter back rub. It will help ease the pain in your back.
  2. French's mustard rubbed into your back or empty a bottle of mustard into a bathtub filled with hot water. Mix well and soak in the mustard bath for 15 minutes.
  3. Pour 2 cups of rice into a microwave-safe container and heat in the microwave for one minute. Carefully pour or spoon the hot rice into a sock. Make sure it is not packed tightly in sock. Tie a knot or sew up the end of the sock. Put the warm sock on your back where it hurts for 10 minutes to help relieve the pain.
  4. Another use for bubble wrap is to make a back pillow. Cut rectangular sheets of bubble wrap and put them into an empty pillowcase. Place the bubble wrap pillow behind the small of your back when sitting in an office chair, riding in a car, etc.
  5. Have your partner roll a sock that is filled with three or four tennis balls over the sore area on your back.
Take care of your back because once you hurt it, it takes a long time to heal. Hugs...

10 comments:

Christina Farley said...

Never would have thought of these!

Bish Denham said...

My hubby suffers with chronic back pain. He does the tennis balls and we use rice in a sock...but I've never heard of mustard. I think he'd smell like a hotdog! :O

Kimbra Kasch said...

I'll send these to my husband - he'll enjoy them - and maybe use a few. I like the meat tenderizer ;)

Carrie Harris said...

Meat tenderizer? Are you kidding?

Rena Jones said...

Interesting tips. I usually just reach for the Motrin. Man, I am SOOO not with it!

Kelly Polark said...

I like the tennis ball one, that sounds like it would be great even without a backache! (and there would be no accidental biting!) :0)

Adrienne said...

Meat tenderizer...now that's interesting! Great use for bubble wrap, too - I use a rolled up towel sometimes.

C.R. Evers said...

The first half of this made me hungry. :0)

I would have never thought about meat tenderizer . . . but it makes sense.

Thnx for the tips!

Linda D. (sbk) said...

Meat tenderizer? LOL Between that and the mustard, I think I'd be paranoid every time Brendan started up the BBQ.

Brenda said...

I'm beginning to think I need to add a warning to my green living tips..."Not responsible for bites and BBQ's...grin...

I've always felt that in the 'good ol' days' they didn't have drugstores on every corner, so they had to use what they had...now, I can't tell you "WHY" someone would put mustard or meat tenderizer on themselves for the sake of science, but...Advil wasn't around back then, so they had to try something...grin...

I have used mustard for lots of things - non food related - and just like baking soda and vinegar are cleaning essentials, I have found mustard to be my medical essential...grin...