George thought it would be neat to post some recipes for making crockpot jams, etc. These make great gifts and how much easier can it be...if you let your George do all the work...grin...
Fresh Strawberry Jam
4 pints Fresh strawberries - rinsed, drained and hulled
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 (2 oz) box dry pectin
3 to 4 cups sugar (this will depend on your taste)
Crush the strawberries using a hand potato masher. Leave a few larger chunks. Spoon strawberries into the crockpot. Add the lemon and sprinkle with the the dry pectin. Let sit for 10 minutes. Stir in the sugar, cover and cook on LOW for 2 1/2 hours. Stir twice during the 2 1/2 hours. Remove lid, turn to HIGH and cook for 2 to 3 hours until the correct consistency.
Pour jam into individual jars, screw lids on the jars and let cool. You can store in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.
Another option is to spoon into plastic containers and freeze. This will store for up to 3 months.
Easy Apricot Preserves
1 lb dried apricots
1 3/4 cups sugar
3 1/2 cups water
Put apricots in food processor and chop until finely chopped. Transfer to crockpot and stir in sugar and water. Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 1/2 hours. Stirring twice. Uncover and cook for 2 more hours until jam thickens. Stir occasionally.
Pour into glass jars and seal. Allow to cool and put in refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Or you can put in plastic containers and freeze. Will stay good for up 2 months.
Enjoy!
8 comments:
I would never have thought of crockpot jam.
:)
Wonderful! Strawberries are in right now. If I were to sterilize the jars and got a good vacuum seal, could they be stored on the shelf?
That's so cool! I wouldn't have thought you could use a crockpot for making jam.
Mmmmm, homemade strawberry jam. That is a great idea!
I hope you guys enjoy the jams...
Bish, yes, we have used a canner to seal them and as long as they get a good seal, they should be fine...Enjoy!
Jam in a crockpot. . . who knew!!!!
George is a genius!
c
This is great. I'm going to assign this task to my girls after we pick strawberries. (Maybe they won't expect me to make ice cream with every single berry!)
Yum - I'm growing strawberries this year. Now I know what I'm going to do with them...
Post a Comment