Friday, October 29, 2010

How did you become...You?

Okay, so this stress reduction class has made me think about a lot of things...I'm not really sure this is the purpose of the class, but this is what has happened to me...

So how did you become...You?

I don't mean how did you get your nose size, your height or your eye color, I mean how did you become the personality you are?

All my life I've been told I would argue with a wall if given the chance...that I was defensive, ready to fight, liked to yell, etc., etc., etc., so I always thought that was who I was...meaning that any situation that came along, I argued it...anything that bothered me, even just a little bit, would set me off...because that was what I thought I was suppose to do...because that's what I was told I always did...so did I become this way because I've been told my whole life this was who I was...or am I really out to find a fight?

The poem I put in my last post really made me think about things...and now I'm trying to figure out how I became...me? This past week, I had situations that came up that would normally make me defensive, so I put it in my head that I was going to watch my true initial reaction to situations...and what I found was that my first reaction was to take a deep breath..not to yell....now is that because I've been taking this course or is it because that is really how I would like to be? I'm torn...so I have decided that it doesn't matter if I was born with a little temper or if that temper was a little man made...I've decided that I am going to try NOT to argue over everything...take a few minutes and breathe and see what happens...who knows, maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks...grin...Hugs...

2 comments:

Bish Denham said...

Oh Brenda, it sounds like you are learning about yourself. I believe the way we react to things is directly related to how we were raise/what we were told/how we were treated etc. while growing up. Our brains are rather like computers, they get programed to respond certain ways and as adults we tend to think/believe that's just the way we are and we don't really think about it.

The good news is, if there is a behavior you don't like about yourself you can reprogram your brain and it sounds like that's just what you're doing.

Besides...what's the point of argueing over stuff? Is there a need to be right? A fear of being wrong? Breathe in, breathe out. There are ALWAYS more important things to do, like notice how beautiful the day is. HUGS. Bish

Kimbra Kasch said...

Love that you're doing the stress management thing. I guess I have to attribute me to my Mom. She was my biggest influence but she was much nicer than me.

Sometimes I yell...oops there it's out in cyberland