Sunday, November 7, 2010

What I learned about myself during the Silent Retreat

Well...I survived the All Day Silent Retreat...more than that, I actually learned things about myself.

It was not only a day of silence, but we weren't even suppose to look at each other. We had to keep our eyes down...because people share a lot of emotions with their eyes...and we didn't even get to talk during lunch...we were told to sit away from each other and enjoy the hour for lunch...this gave me a chance to actually taste my food. I don't know how often I finish a meal and couldn't tell you anything about it. I choke it down...I don't enjoy it. I was amazed at how much I enjoyed just taking time to 'taste' my lunch. Although, I did find that I don't really like strawberry/banana yogurt...I always thought I did, but when I took the time to eat it, I realized it is a bit...sour...so will have to try some other flavors...grin...

So what else did I learn about myself?
  1. I can stay quiet all day without my nose my bleeding. This was such a relief to me. No convulsions...no passing out...I made it through the whole day without causing a medical situation...Thank you very much...
  2. I actually enjoyed the experience. It was very calming and peaceful. I even drove home with the radio off and slower than usual...just enjoying the day. When I got home, I text Hubs and sat down and read a book. No computer, no t.v...just quiet reading. I loved it...
  3. I realized that I get an hour lunch...why am I not taking it? I sit at my desk and answer phones and eat my hot lunch cold most of the time...and I work 5 minutes from a park! So starting tomorrow, I will be heading to the park & taking my full hour...if it's not raining/snowing, I will walk through the park, if it is raining/snowing, then I will read a book in my car...
  4. I will find time each day to enjoy the quiet...enjoy the moment...enjoy the day...enjoy my life...
This was another AHA moment for me...I'm finally realizing that the thing I thought were important...really weren't...my family, my friends, myself...those are the things that are important and I should be enjoying them and not worrying about things I can't change. I wish I would have known about this class years ago. I feel like I've missed out on so much happiness because I was worrying so much.

I found out that because I took the class, I will be invited back twice a year (Spring & Fall) to future All Day Silent Retreats...and this is something that I will continue to do. This was such an eye opening experience for me...and I can't wait to see what other changes will happen because of this class...Hugs...

6 comments:

Nora MacFarlane said...

It sounds like it was a wonderful experience! I think it will go a long way towards helping you de-stress. It's hard to say no to people, not just at work but to family too, and to carve out some solitude for yourself. But it's important to do. I'm so glad for you!

Kimbra Kasch said...

I love quiet. My husband bought me an IPOD for when I run. I never used it. I enjoy the little piece of quiet I can get :)

Rena Jones said...

Sounds great! Also, sounds like something I'd love to do.

C.R. Evers said...

sounds wonderful! I love the idea of a full day silent retreat. My day is so full of noise, I think it would do me good to get away from it. It would be difficult, but I think it must do a body lots of good to get away from sensory overload.

Glad you had such a great and eye-opening time!

Kelly Polark said...

That sounds like a great experience, Brenda. I'm glad your nose didn't bleed :).
I took the dogs for a quiet walk in the forest preserve today and thought why don't I do this more often?

-blessed b9, Catalyst4Christ said...

How I wish U.S. could have the
moxie to go through the SR, girl.
➕ psychopathicmath.blogspot.com ➕
Cya soon, ya stunning wildflower girl...