Sunday, December 31, 2006

Goodbye 2006

Today is it...the last day of 2006. For some reason I feel bad about the end of this year. I think its because I didn't accomplish a lot of the things I set out to do. I procrastinated my year away. I have decided to set some better goals this year. Goals that aren't so out-of-reach. After all, I can't say I'm going to be published when my hopes of being a published writer isn't really in my hands at all. I can't afford to self publish, so all I can do is submit my stories and hope that they find the right editor on the right day...the following information on setting goals and keeping them was in an article in my local newspaper and I thought it fitting to post here on the last day of the year...
  1. Be specific - Don't say you want to spend more time writing, instead say you resolve to spend 1 hour a day writing...etc.
  2. Take Baby Steps - Don't say you want to finish the novel you're working on, instead say you resolve to have chapters 1 - 4 done by March 15, 2007...etc.
  3. Don't cut yourself off, cut yourself back - If you normally procrastinate for 2 hours every night, resolve to procrastinate for only a 1/2 hour every night
  4. Don't over-reach - setting too big a goal will set you up for failure. Don't say you WILL be published in 2007, resolve to making sure you are sending your writings out as often as possible, so your chances are better for being published.
  5. Don't excuse your way out of change - Keep a log to chart your progress and make sure you are meeting your smaller goals
  6. Don't get discouraged - Refuse to say "I can't" - instead ask "What's keeping me from achieving my goals." and then change or start over again...You don't have to wait until January 1, 2008 to set new goals...

The article was on how to keep your resolve and lose weight (which is on my private list of resolutions)...I changed the examples they gave to keep in line with my writing...When it's broken down this way it doesn't seem as scary. I'm feeling a whole lot better about 2007.

No comments: