Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. ~Lou Holtz
Monday, January 15, 2007
Only time will tell
I spent the day getting one of my favorite stories edited. I haven't quite finished the whole book, but it has been so long since I worked on it that I felt I had better read it again to see what was happening. I did end up getting 2 1/2 chapters written and all of it edited, so I am pretty proud of myself. I wonder why some of us procrastinate on the things that mean the most to us...out of all of my stories, Hunting For Sam is my favorite, and I have let a few people read it (even my husband) and they all have enjoyed it (trust me, my hubby would have told me if he didn't like it...he was not taught to white lie...grin). I love becoming Sam in her story, so I never understand why I hesitate finishing her...My son graduated from high school last year and pretty much lives his life on his own...and I turned 40 in 2006...I think these two happenings scared me. I don't think I want Sam to grow up and face the cruel world...or leave me. I know that's not fair to her. She should blossom and grow and see the world, but if I let her go, and she is met with open arms, then I have lost her. I have to share her with people I don't know. I don't know if I can send two of my children out into the world in such a short amount of time. My son comes back to eat and do his laundry...Sam will forget me the moment she leaves...I know Sam is a fictional character...a name and story that I created, but don't you think your books are your children. Aren't they ideas, then they are born, with each editing you help your book grow and isn't sending them out into the world of editors like sending your child to college. And if published they will be shared with the world, isn't that like them graduating and moving away. Oh, you can open your book and read it over and over, but its not just yours anymore...the private world you have had together isn't anymore...To me, its just as sad as when my son grew up and didn't need me as much anymore...I guess, if Sam and Josh (my son) go out into the world and are loved by many as they are loved by me, then I know that my editing job was well done and I guess I shouldn't fear them leaving, because they will be able to take on the big cruel world and survive...that doesn't mean that I can't try to hold on as long as I can and keep them my babies as long as possible...Hugs...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment