Sounds like something a child would say doesn't it? But no, these words came out of my husband's mouth on Saturday. I don't know when I became his mother, but somewhere over the last 8 years, it happened. The sad part is, he whined worse then Joshua ever did when he was younger. Okay, here's what happened:
We were in Wal-mart the other day grocery shopping (let me say this...we enter the store together, then he goes to the sporting goods department and I grocery shop...just once, I would like for him to get the groceries and I could hang out in the craft department...dream on...) Sorry, back to my story...so anyway, I was almost done grocery shopping so I called him on his cell (yes, this is how we communicate in the Wal-mart store...there have even been times, when we have called each other and were actually close enough to hear the others phone ring...it really is sad when people see us talking to each other on the cellphones...even sadder is when we call each other and we figure out where the other one is and start over that way and we are still talking on the phones as we approach each other...only to hang up when we are next to each other...what did we ever do before the cellphone was invented...grin)...Sorry off the subject again (it's been one of those days...sigh)
So I call him and tell him I'm on my way to the check out and I'll see him there..."okay." he says...so I'm standing in line looking around, trying to find him so I can catch his attention, when what do I see...my 45 year old hubby walking towards me with a bicycle.
"What's this?" I ask.
"A dirt bike." he says.
"Why are you walking beside it? Did you accidentally get glued to it somehow?" I'm staring at him at this point with a blank look on my face. I honestly couldn't figure out why he would be walking beside a bike...
"No, honey, I'm not glued to it." I knew I was in trouble when the word "honey" was added to his sentence.
"So?" I ask and by this time my foot is taping and my arms are crossed...you can tell he knows this is not a good sign, but he keeps going...
"Can I have it? Huh? Huh? Can I, Pleasssse?"
At his point my foot stops taping and I'm looking over his shoulder for the hidden camera that most surely was filming this... "What?" I ask.
I know it will be hard to believe, but this is what my husband started babbling all in one breath...
"I need it to turkey hunt with, there are some areas that a truck can't get into and then I have to walk and I have to keep stopping so I can hear the turkeys and know what direction they are in, but with a bike, I will be able to keep on going and get to them quicker."
At this point, I'm looking around to make sure no one else has heard this ridiculous story and I'm debating on leaving my cart, full of groceries, right where it is and walking away before anyone realizes that I'm with this man. I guess my silence was more then he could take so he added the following...
"I'll even ride it to work and save money on gas." We only live about 3 miles from his work, so this makes me stop and think about this for a minute...his truck takes about $50.00 - $60.00 a week to fill up and that's just to go back and forth from home to work, so this could save us a lot of money...I'm standing there thinking about it, when I hear him say...
"Can I have it? Pleassse...."
"You're going to ride this to and from work?" Wanted to make sure I heard him correctly...no loop holes to fall into later, you know...
"Yeah."
"Okay." I say (a part of me thinks that if I would have said no, he would have thrown a temper tanchrum...tisk...tisk...) grin....
So we are now the proud owners of a dirt bike. He had it for about 2 hours before he painted it camo colored and the next morning when I got ready to go to work, what did I see in the garage where his truck is usually parked...NOTHING! He drove to work with the bike on the back of the truck...
So I ask him about riding it to and from work...and he says..."Oh, I have to work up to that. It's three miles you know."
Yes, I know this...because I walk it every morning and have done so for the past 3 weeks!!!
So this evening I get home and I don't see my hubby. His truck is in the garage, but he is nowhere to be found. Then I see him come riding down the mountain on his bike, holding Koda in one arm. It seems that riding three miles up into the woods is completely different then riding three miles to work. He didn't seem out of breath or tired when he got off the bike. "I took Koda for a ride to see if he likes it." He says to me.
"You're grounded." I reply back.
"What?"
"You heard me. Put the bike in the basement and you can't ride it for a week."
"What?"
"You told me this bike was going to be for hunting turkeys and going to and from work. You did not ask permission to give the dog a ride. Since you acted like a child when you wanted the bike, you need to ask permission to do things with the bike." I am pointing in the direction of the basement. "Put it away and don't get it out, until next Monday. If I catch you anywhere near it before that, you will not be allowed to ride it for two weeks." With that said, I turned to walk back into the house.
He stood there and stared at me for a few moments before he put the bike downstairs and to make my point even clearer, I found an old bike chain that Josh had and I locked the bike to one of the support posts in the basement and only I have the key.
He has been so lovey dovey since I locked up his bike...but I never went back on a punishment for Josh and I'm not going back on this one. Josh turned out to be a good kid, responsible, takes care of his things, and is now a grown man (always my baby boy to me..grin)...so if it worked for Josh, maybe it will work with Jeff...one can only hope...grin...Hugs...
1 comment:
too funny!
I got the "Look at the cool tv on sale" presentation when dh and I walked into Costco last week. He walked around all pouty for the rest of the shopping trip when I told him no.
Men.
Post a Comment