Monday, August 27, 2007

Aromatherapy & natural cures

For those of you who don't this about me, let me share...I love aromatherapy and I believe in natural medicine/cures...

Now I don't get all wrapped up in it, but (for me) this is something that has helped me often and I have mentioned things here and there to friends and family and some have tried them and then others (I won't mention names, but I'm married to him) call it snake medicine and pick on me about getting in the back of snake wagons and listening to a gypsy. (I don't know where I found that man...grin...)

Anyway, when I cleaned up my room, I found some of my aromatherapy oils, candles, etc. and I thought I would share a few with everyone in case you would like to try them...nothing extreme...promise...

  • Grapefruit - have wonderfully uplifting but calming properties - I have a grapefruit wickless candle that I put on a candle warmer and it recharges me...and after a day of "I can't pay my rent because..." I need a little recharging...
  • Peppermint - I can't live without my peppermint - I have a small bottle (looks like a lip gloss container) that I keep by my bed and when I feel a headache coming, I sniff it and rub a little under my nose and I lay in bed for about ten minutes and the headache is gone. Did you know that restaurants give you peppermint candy after a meal to help settle your stomach - I also drink hot peppermint tea help with monthly cramping - like I said, I couldn't live without my peppermint.
  • Chamomile - I have panic attacks (not as many as I use to, but you only have to have one, to know you don't ever want to have another) - so I keep Chamomile tea around the house and in my office - when I start feeling that "weird" feeling that I get just before a panic attack, I make myself some Chamomile tea, I light a candle, put on some soft jazz and cut the lights off and drink my tea...if I ignore the "weird" feeling and the attack comes on, then I go straight to drinking it and don't worry about the rest (I really only tell Jeff, that I need the candles, etc. so I can have a few moments to myself...shhh...). I do suggest putting a little honey in your Chamomile tea..

Okay, that's my aromatherapy/natural cures lesson for the day...there are some great sites to get more information and they are:

http://www.aworldofaromatherapy.com/index.html

http://www.aromaweb.com/recipes/default.asp

I hope I've helped you find ways to relax and feel better...hugs...

2 comments:

Danette Haworth said...

I didn't know that was what the peppermints were for! I thought they were to mask my fried onion breath after eating quesadillas.

Brenda said...

Danette...

I use to think they handed out peppermints so you could kiss your boyfriend after eating the blooming onion from Outback...grin...

I write a newsletter for the tenants at the apartment complex that I manage and I give them all kinds of tidbits like this, and they get a kick out of it...the one tidbit that most of them remember is the fact that you can use coca cola to clean your toilet...just pour a can of coke in your toilet and let it set overnight...in the morning, just flush...kinda crazy huh? and just think, we drink that stuff...grin...