Friday, August 31, 2007

I consider myself a Goddess...just not a domestic Goddess...

Okay, I know I have probably mentioned once or twice that I am NOT a cook...I don't like to cook, and if it doesn't come with directions on the back...I'm lost...

A few years back, I purchased a rubber stamp that says: "Relax, I didn't make this myself."...and I have stamped this slogan on labels so when I go to reunions, or potluck dinners, etc. I can slap that sticker on the container that I came with. Plus, I usually tape the sales receipt of the food item that I purchased for the occasion just below the label (some people who know me want to be really really be sure that I didn't make it)..

So knowing all of this about myself, tell me why I plan a Resident Appreciation Breakfast for my tenants that I knew I would have to make myself? It must have been the heat...it fried my brain and for one very hot second, I thought I knew how to cook...Or was it all the rain we've been getting...Was my brain just soggy? Who knows, but whatever the reason, I invited over 125 residents to an Appreciation Breakfast...and I had to do the cooking...

I am very proud of myself...I didn't burn myself or the food and the building is still standing...so far no one has had to be rushed to the hospital for food poisoning and no one spit out the food and ran out of the building screaming about how bad it was...

Now granted, all I had to make was pancakes and french toast...the pancake mix was a box that all I had to do was add water, so that was no big deal, BUT no one wanted the easy stuff....NOoooo...everyone wanted the french toast, so that meant, I had to mix up the recipe, dip the bread in and cook it...I know what you are saying..."So What? What's all the whining about? What's so hard about mixing up some eggs and milk and dipping bread in it?"

I'm not whining, but for me mixing some eggs with milk and dipping bread in it, isn't easy...it can actually be painful to watch...but I'm very proud of myself and I wanted to share...Everyone loved my french toast (and I even had some come back for seconds)...

Now I would like to think that everyone really did like my french toast and that they didn't just say that to keep me from evicting them...let me have my dreams...please...

So....the point of this story is...next year, call a caterer...because I think God gave me this one day to shine as a Domestic Goddess, but even he doesn't want to risk the lives of the kitchens in the world, by letting me continue to cook...grin...hugs...

4 comments:

Danette Haworth said...

I love French toast!

Cooking for that many people is a feat--you should be proud of yourself. Plus, that's an excellent turnout.

A friend of mine was the activities director for the little subdivision she lived in. She put together a neighborhood Waffles and Strawberry Shortcake breakfast. The only ones who showed up were her family, my husband and me, and the cook.

Linda D. (sbk) said...

Oh, geez, Danette. That would be so depressing!

I'm very proud of you Brenda. Good job. It's not easy to cook for that many people. I certainly wouldn't want to take it on.

Now you can make french toast all the time! Pst! Not sure if your recipe already had you doing this, but next time you make it, add a little cinnamon to the eggs. It's sooo good.

Brenda said...

Danette...I was afraid myself and my maintenance man would be the only ones to show up for our little breakfast for the residents...I told him that I hoped he liked eggs, because we had 5 dozen to eat if no one showed up...grin

Linda...I actually do make french toast with cinnamon...and a little vanilla...it gives it such a sweet taste...I was told by one of the tenants that I need to make it with the canned fruit pie filling...she said apple and peach pie filling are the best to put over french toast instead of syrup...sounds interesting...grin...

Danette Haworth said...

Brenda,

My neighbor caters and sometimes ends up with more ingredients than she needed. She showed up one morning at my door with a large bowl of eggs.

Scrambled, deviled, and fried--all week long!