Saturday, September 15, 2007

Old Friends...

Have you ever been away from one of your stories for so long that when you do go back to it, you feel like you've found an old friend? That's where I'm at with "Hunting For Sam". I feel like I have been writing this little girl's story for soooo long. I put her away, unfinished, just as people around me were starting to say such nice things about her. Was it Fear? Or Uncertainty? Or was I Scared? Probably a little of all three. Fear that they were just telling me what they thought I wanted to hear. Uncertain about, if they were telling the truth, whether or not I could continue to write at the same level. Scared to send her out in the real world. To let her go...

I decided to pull Sam out of her hiding place today and I have been working on revisions all afternoon. Putting the wonderful notes from my critique partners to work. My goal, when I planned my 9 day vacation, was to finish Ms Sam's story. So, I took today and will take tomorrow to finish the revisions on the chapters that I have written and then Monday I will start working toward giving Sam the ending she deserves.

It feels sooo good to be working on her story again. I found myself slipping into Sam's world without missing a beat. I'm excited to see how this little girl will grow into the young lady that I know she will be...Do you have an "old friend" that needs a little love? Pull them out of hiding, because who knows, you may just rekindle an old friendship and be happier that you did...Hugs...

6 comments:

Danette Haworth said...

Excellent. Sounds like you're in the groove!

Goadingthepen said...

OOh I love playing with old friends!
I have a few. Old friends treat you well! The story I entered for the ABC Comp was an old friend! From eight years ago.

I love the title of your story.

Sheri
aka~goadingthepen
www.spiderstale.blogspot.com

angelarene said...

What a good feeling. I think when we put them in a drawer we think we'll never see them again but it's such a good feeling when you take it back out and you're like..."Wow! This is good." However the ones i have tucked away right now, need to stay there :)

Linda D. (sbk) said...

I have the same problem as Angela. I've got a few cats tucked away and they keep meowing to get out. I keep yelling at them to shut up until they can turn themselves into a non-talking animal PB. They're not too happy. As long as they stay in the drawer, I think my writing's got a chance.

Brenda said...

Thanks all for letting me know that I am not alone in playing hide'n'seek with my MS...

I'm really having fun catching up with Sam...

Linda...if the cats get too wild...throw 'em some catnip...I hear that makes cats "happy" grin..

Pamela Morgan said...

Glad you're working on Sam again. Good luck.