Friday, November 23, 2007

I survived...and so did everyone else.

I can't cook! I know I have started other posts out like this, I just want to remind everyone of this fact before you read on...

I'm not the dinner party host type and a bag of chips and dip is what I consider a good super bowl meal, sooooo...

Here is what happened:

I had planned on having Thanksgiving Dinner for Jeff, Josh, Koda and myself. Then I decided that I would invite my parents so they could see Josh. So inviting my parents meant I needed to invite my in-laws. My in-laws said no thank you and my parents said okay....

3 + 2 = 5 guests

Then my dad told me that my sister was going to be home alone (her husband's family butcher on Thanksgiving and she wasn't going to go), so I invited my sister...

5 + 1 = 6

Then my sister said she just knows my nieces would love to see Josh and asked if they could come...

6 + 2 = 8

Then my mother-in-law decided she and my father-in-law would like to come to dinner after all and called to ask if that would be okay...

8 + 2 = 10

Then I asked if my brother-in-law was also coming with them (he's a grown man, but still lives at home)...My M-I-L said she didn't know, but that I should call and ask him, so I did....

10 + 1 = 11

Then my sister calls me on Thanksgiving and says her husband will be done early and wants to know if he can come to dinner...

11 + 1 = 12!!!

Twelve people I cooked Thanksgiving dinner for. (13 if you count making sure that Koda got a plate of food also) I kept telling everyone that I didn't need anything, so I did it all myself. Now I'm not saying that to toot my own horn...I'm just telling you that, so you will know just how crazy I am...grin...

Thankfully, everything came out of the oven at the same time (nothing burnt and nothing undercooked). The hot rolls raised and the turkey browned. The mashed potatoes weren't lumpy and the gravy had flavor. The desserts were even good! (I can mess up chocolate, so I had chocolate pie and chocolate cake and of course pumpkin pie)

Everyone ate. Everyone said they enjoyed it. No one had to use the Pepto Bismol and no one ran out of the house right after dinner.

I think it was a success and I am sooooo glad it is over!

Don't tell anyone, but I enjoyed myself and I am proud of myself for pulling it off. All I can say is that all the planets and stars were in the right place for that whole day...what are the odds that will happen again...??? I had better not push it...grin...

Jeff asked me later that evening if I was planning on doing this again next year. I said no without any hesitation, and then I snuggled down in bed, fell into a deep sleep (I was exhausted) and I had a nightmare that I agreed to do this every year from here on out!!! Someone wake me!!!

Hugs...

5 comments:

Danette Haworth said...

Brenda,
Congrats for pulling it off! I hope someone offered to do the dishes for you!

SkyeMadison said...

I was one of the guests at Brenda's "growing" party. Everything was great and she should do it every Thanksgiving. I may just show up every year without telling her (lol)! Stop underestimating yourself! Face it like a woman ~ YOU ARE A GREAT HOSTESS and now the secret is out.

Love and Prayers,
Brenda's little sis

angelarene said...

Impressive. With that many people, usually something goes wrong....Good for you!!

Brenda said...

Danette...They offered, but I let the dishwasher do the work...

Skye...I'm moving and not leaving a forwarding address...grin...

Angela...I was very lucky that day...I should have purchased a lottery ticket...darn it!

Thanks all...

SkyeMadison said...

Brenda,

You can run but you cn't hide. Family will always find you...giggle

Love and Prayers
SkyeMadison