Sunday, January 20, 2008

Critique Groups

Critique groups = other writers who want the same thing you do, who want you to succeed as much as they want to succeed, who know what you are going through when you are waiting for the mail person to bring you the good/bad news...

I've been a member of both online and in-person critique groups and I think both have their good and bad points.

I think you can be more honest in an online group. You're not face-to-face, so you have the opportunity to think about your comments. And they can't see your face if you don't like the story they have written.

In-person groups a friendlier. You get to know the person and not just the story. A lot of in-person groups meet in coffee shops, bookstores, etc. so this gets you out of the house for a little while...

What I like most about critique groups...the deadlines. I need those. I have tried to give myself deadlines but I don't hold myself accountable when I miss them. With groups, I need to have something ready by a certain time. I also enjoy the different thoughts on a story. Different ideas on how to make a story better because you have different "eyes" reading it, is invaluable...

Either way, online or in-person, if you are NOT a member of a critique group, you really need to be. Try each to see which one you like. Joining will give you the support you need to be a writer.

So those of you who are in a critique group...which do you like better...online or in-person? Hugs...


4 comments:

Linda D. (sbk) said...

I'm an onliner. I don't think I'd be comfortable telling people face to face what works and doesn't work.

Also, if you get negative feedback on something online, you can sit there and stew about it without anyone knowing. When you feel better and realize they're right, you can respond and say "wow, great advice. Thanks." In person, the first reaction is not always the best.

I might be inclined to say something I regret. Plus, stupid stuff comes out of my mouth too often.

Brenda said...

Linda...I have had to work very hard at watching what I say or how I look during my in-person critique group...I keep chewing gum in my mouth so I can chomp down on it and I make sure I always have a soda/tea/water with me so I can take a quick drink...I can finish the whole bottle in one swallow if I really don't like what they are saying...grin...

Danette Haworth said...

I've traded critiques online before and found it very helpful. I don't think any other line of work lends itself more to correspondence than writing.

Linda D. (sbk) said...

I've thought about this more.

My son and I are able to critique each other's work. He's 14. After he read my ms he spent two hours talking to me about what he liked and didn't like about it; what worked and what didn't work.

When he's had to do long stories for school, I've done the same thing for him. He's really good at hearing what I have to say and not getting defensive. Which is weird. But good. I think he'll make a great writer some day.

So I guess in-person could work for me as long as it wasn't a big group. One on one I think I'd be okay.