I'm having trouble at work. Every year, my company has a 3-day conference meeting for the managers. They always let the managers know 2 months in advance so that we can make sure to re-schedule appointments, etc. because it is mandatory that we go.
Well, a couple weeks back I had these two spots/moles show up on my body. They looked weird to me, so I called my family doctor to have him look at them, just to be safe. He said they did look a little weird and he wanted me to see a dermatologist as soon as possible. In my area you may have a 6 month wait before you can get an appointment. His office called a few dermatologists and finally found one that could see me on 4-7-08...he set up the appointment, called me and told me about it...
Well...the 7th just happens during my company's conference. The conference is 5-6 hours away from, so this would mean that I couldn't go, because this would mean that I would be driving back and forth each day because of my appointment. They won't pay me the mileage to do this and if they have to remove the moles, I won't be able to wear work clothes because it would rub the areas...
Instead of my boss being compassionate, she says..."you need to re-schedule your appointment for whenever so it doesn't interrupt conference." and then she says, "it won't kill you to wait." This could be skin cancer, I'm worried and can't think of anything else and she says it won't kill me!
Well today, we were having a conference call and she said something that caused the other managers to ask why I wasn't going to be at conference. Before I could answer, my boss says, "that's right you all get on to her about it."
I went off, I told her I was being made to feel guilty for something that I had no control over and it needed to stop and then I slammed the phone down on the desk and walked out of the office.
Now, I was in the middle of training one of her new managers when this happened and I apologized for acting this way in front of her. She was great about it, but can you imagine being on your first day on the job and the manager they have training you goes wacko in front of you...
Now, I'm torn...I don't want to speak to my manager but I don't know if I should call the human resource person and tell her what happened and that I want something done about it. This is not the first time this has happened. Last year when I found the lump in my breast and I told her that I needed to go to the doctor, she wanted to know what for and I told her...she said to me..."oh now the doctors will have to play with your boob every 3 months."...what kind of person tells someone that!
I don't know what to do...I want a different job, but can't afford to change jobs...and so far publishers aren't knocking down my door...
So do I let it go? Do I make a complaint to my company? I don't know how I can continue to work for someone like this.
2 comments:
Seriously! Complain and get her fired. I'm not kidding. The things she's saying to you are totally inappropriate.
Go for blood.
Thanks Linda...that's what most people are telling me to do, but I'm scared...other then the conference call, it would be she said, she said...and then I would have to work under her and deal with that...Jeff has told me to quit, but we can't afford that...I know she's done pretty much the same thing with other managers, but I don't think they would speak up for fear of their jobs and fear of working under her...I'll keep you informed of what I do...Thanks again...
Post a Comment